Adding rule to List Box - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Adding rule to List Box

Last post 09-29-2009 10:06 AM by Sailor. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-24-2009 07:17 AM

• Sailor
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-15-2009
    • Canada
    • Posts 107

Adding rule to List Box

Hello,

I have 3 cascading drop-down list boxes in a repeating section.  I want to create rules to ensure they are blanked if someone changes the second or third list box.  When I right-click on the control I don't even get a rules option any more.  

What am I missing?

• 09-24-2009 07:38 AM In reply to

Re: Adding rule to List Box

The Rules option will disappear if a control is not bound to a field.  Could that be what's happening?  If not, you could try opening the relevant fields' properties in the Data Source Taskpane and adding the rules from there.

Jimmy Rishe / Software Developer / Microsoft MVP
    Qdabra Software
  • 09-24-2009 08:50 AM In reply to

• Sailor
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-15-2009
    • Canada
    • Posts 107

Hi, and thanks for the reply!

The lists are populated from a secondary data source (sharepoint list).  I had this working before when i first tried doing the cascading lists, and then I needed to make it work in a repeating section.  Once I got the repeating section to work I now can't see the Rules option. (I had deleted and re-created these controls until I got this working correctly).

I don't see any way to do this in the properties of the data source either.

EDIT >> I think this happened because I made these Reference Fields.  Someone here was kind enough to help me get the repeating section working and told me they had to be changed to reference.  I retraced my steps and see that that is what removes the rules option.  Anyway to add rules now??

• 09-24-2009 10:19 PM In reply to

I don't think that simply making fields reference fields is enough to cause this problem.  If possible, could you describe an exact sequence of steps that can reproduce this problem? Alternatively, could you attach a copy of an XSN file where this problem is occurring?  That would make it easiest to troubleshoot.

Qdabra Software
  • 09-29-2009 06:09 AM In reply to

• Sailor
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-15-2009
    • Canada
    • Posts 107

Hello,

I have attached the file for which this is occuring.

• 09-29-2009 07:47 AM In reply to

Thank you.  What you have in your form is a recursive group (a group that contains references to itself, potentially infinitely), and it seems that for some reason InfoPath will not allow rules to be added to fields in recursive groups.  I don't know of a simple way around this, but from looking at your form, I can't see any reason why your form would need the GrpService group to be recursive.  Is there any situation where a GrpService group would need to contain another GrpService group?

Qdabra Software
  • 09-29-2009 08:04 AM In reply to

• Sailor
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-15-2009
    • Canada
    • Posts 107

Thank you for looking at this for me.  I very much appreciate this help.

I must say, I'm not 100% certain that I know that I purposely set it up this way.  What I had been attempting, with limited success, was to create a repeating group that allowed the fields to be unique each time.  I had a very hard time to make this work, so this may have accidentally created the current problem.  What I wanted was this http://www.infopathdev.com/forums/p/13255/47060.aspx#47060 which Patrick tried to help me with.  It did allow the list boxes to work like I wanted, but not the rules which are required on the list boxes.

Thank you again,

• 09-29-2009 08:47 AM In reply to

I would expect that you should be able to have unique values in the dropdown boxes without making GrpService recursive.  Could you try and see what happens if you delete the "child" GrpService group, leaving only the top-level GrpService, and preview the form?  I don't have access to your web services, so I can't experiment with the functionality too easily.

Qdabra Software
  • 09-29-2009 10:06 AM In reply to

• Sailor
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-15-2009
    • Canada
    • Posts 107

Well, I think that did the trick!  I'm not sure how/why I oringally created the recursive group.  It seems to allow the rules, and allow repeating unique entries.

Thank you so much for your continued assistance.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.