Refreshing main data source without overwriting input fields - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Refreshing main data source without overwriting input fields

Last post 09-21-2009 11:54 PM by Graeme. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-21-2009 02:03 AM

Refreshing main data source without overwriting input fields

I designing a form based on a web service. The web service schema has all the required fields for the form - some pre-filled with data, some for the user to fill in.

The user will fill in some parts based on the existing data at the time, them some time later after more data has been added to the database he will re-open the file and fill in other parts.

I've just realised that this doesn't work though - the user will need a way of refreshing the saved form in order to get the latest data.  This would presumably require a refresh button on the form to re-query the main data source, which in turn will zap all the fields he has previously filled in and saved (individual input fields are not saved to the database, only in the saved form)....

What is the correct way of doing this?  Should all read-only fields be on a secondary data source and only the input fields be on the main data source, or vice-versa?  Or could I set the refresh button to only refresh a specific subset of fields?

Thanks for any tips
  • 09-21-2009 02:16 AM In reply to

Re: Refreshing main data source without overwriting input fields

Here at Qdabra, we use web services extensively, but nearly all of our forms start off with an empty data source, with the web service connections as secondary data sources.

Would this be a viable option in your case?

Jimmy Rishe / Software Developer / Microsoft MVP
    Qdabra Software
  • 09-21-2009 02:40 AM In reply to

What is the empty data source - just a schema containing the fields to be filled in?

If I have a XYZ Report form, would I have a main data source for all the editable fields and a secondary data source for the read-only boilerplate stuff?

• 09-21-2009 06:01 AM In reply to

I'm referring to the "Blank" option when creating the form, adding whichever fields you need and using rules, etc. to utilize the values in your secondary data sources.
    Jimmy Rishe / Software Developer / Microsoft MVP
    Qdabra Software
  • 09-21-2009 11:54 PM In reply to

Do you start by adding fields/sections to the data source or by adding the controls and have the data source automatically added?

Isn't it better to always start with a schema though rather than just dragging controls onto the form? 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.