Retrieve Sharepoint Library Permissions - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Retrieve Sharepoint Library Permissions

Last post 11-04-2010 07:59 AM by tdheidt. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-27-2009 12:06 PM

Retrieve Sharepoint Library Permissions

I am hoping someone can help with this.  I have been spinning my wheels for days on this.  I have a library in Sharepoint that uses an Infopath 2007 form for input.  This form is a web-enabled form.  In this form, I have several section.  Certain users should only to be able to fill out certain sections of the form based on their role.  I need to be able to connect to the library's permissions from infopath to try and retrieve what group the current user is in so that I can apply security to the form.  I have tried to delve into the SPUSER Collection a bit, but am struggling with it as I am not developing on the Sharepoint server and do not have the Microsoft.Sharepoint.dll file registered.  Really hoping someone can help.  This is a killer for my company to use Infopath if I cannot get this to work.  Thanks.

• 07-27-2009 12:30 PM In reply to

Re: Retrieve Sharepoint Library Permissions

Try this (no code):

InfoPath - User Roles in Browser-Enabled Forms Using AD Groups

It doesn't use SharePoint Groups but can use AD groups (Security Groups and/or Distribution Lists).  Since you're willing to use code (requires administrative approval for browser forms), then you might be able to leverage the built-in UserGroup.asmx web service to enumerate the users within a given group.

• 07-27-2009 12:43 PM In reply to

I appreciate the quick response.  Funny thing is I was reading that exact article when you sent it.  Unfortunately, I do not think it will serve my purpose.  The users roles change depending on the part of the Intranet they access so their security is not kept in AD, but instead in Sharepoint groups.  This is why I am looking to try and retrieve this information from the library of the form.  If I cannot connect directly to the library to get the security, I am considering creating a workflow that updates a list with security information in it so that I can retrieve via a secondary connection.  However, this is bulky and cumbersome and I am not comfortable putting user roles in a list that I would need to make visible to any who use that application.

• 07-27-2009 01:46 PM In reply to

Don't try to get it from the list.  SharePoint groups exist at the site collection level, and there are built-in web services like the one I mentioned (UserGroup.asmx, not my blog) that can enumerate these groups and their users.  GetUserCollection or something like that - you can find this with a quick search.

As for the AD part, AD groups can be placed inside SP groups, so it's neither here nor there.  If you had an AD group defined for each combination, you could use my method, but that depends on how many group there are and how much time it would take to manage them that way.

• 06-22-2010 03:17 AM In reply to

• aliash
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • Posts 6

Hi,

Did you ever make any progress with this ?  I looked at this link from Clayton's blog and it looked interesting, but I didn't really understand all that it was doing - so it was difficult to apply to my particular situation where I want to test the current users role.

http://blog.ianchivers.com/wordpress/?p=37

• 06-22-2010 05:39 AM In reply to

I did come up with a solution.  It is a bit involved, but here are the steps I took:

Just as a side note, we use Nintex Workflow.

Provides a method for securing different parts of a browser based InfoPath form based on the current logged on users security rights.

Description:
    The process will read the permissions from the specified list/library and populate a "Roles" list with each user that has permissions to the list.  The workflow will drill down into each group listed and extract the users of these groups.  The groups will be used as the user's role in Infopath.  Any individually listed users in the permissions will not have a assigned group and as such cannot have any role verified to them.  It is then recommended to put all users into a group for the permissions for the desired list/library.

The extracted roles can then be retrieved in InfoPath for use in hidding sections, buttons, etc.. based on if the current logged on user is a member of the specified role.

Installation:
    Before the application of the following steps, the InfoPath form library that you wish to use this on should be created and published to the SharePoint environment.  It's properites will be needed for configuration of the workflow.  The "Roles" list should be created on the same site as the list you wish to read permissions from.

Create the Roles List:
    1)  Create a custom list named "Roles" on the site you wish to apply InfoPath role based security too.
    2)  Select No to "Display this list in the Quick Launch?"
    3)  Create two additional fields, "UserID" & "Group".  Both of which are single line of text.
    4)  Add a new record to the list.  Enter "Control" for each field.  Your list view should look like the following image (without the names...those come later)
    NOTE:  The Roles list is now created.  The first record is a control record.  This is required and must NEVER be removed from the list.  If it is, the list must be deleted and these steps repeated.

Apply the Workflow:
    1)  Save the "GetRoles.nwf" file (Attached to this post) to your desktop and unzip.
    2)  From the "Roles" list, click on the "Settings" drop down and select "Create Workflow".
    3)  When the "Select a Workflow Template" screen appears click the "Cancel" button.
    4)  Click on the "Actions" drop down and select "Import" -> "From File".
    5)  Click the "Browse" button and navigate to where you saved the "GetRoles.nwf" file and click the "Open" button.
    6)  Click on the "Import" button.
    7)  For both of the Web Service actions in the workflow, please use your admin login credentials. 
    NOTE: I am not sure if any other paths need to be changed as I have not ported to different servers.  You may have to do some changing of options.
    8)  Please read the below "Configuration of Workflow" section.  When you are done configuring the workflow then click the "Actions" drop down and select "Publish".

Configuration of Workflow:
    There are several options that can/need to be configured for this workflow.

Optional, but Recommended-ID of Infopath Form Library:
    The default library ID for where the workflow is read the permissions information must be supplied.  There is an opportunity to change this value when you start the workflow (see below), but it is recommended that you enter the value now so that it is saved as the default in the case that you ever have to stop and restart the workflow.  Otherwise, if you restart the workflow it will try to acccess this default list ID if you forget to change it.

Description:
    Each list/library has a unique identifier in the SharePoint environment.  The following is a set of instructions on how to retrieve this ID for use in scripts, workflows and web services.

Instructions:
    1)  Go to the list/library you wish to retrieve the ID for.
    2)  Click on the "Settings" drop down and select "List (Library) Settings".
    3)  In the URL at the top of the screen, note the fragment that starts "?List=".  The List ID is located after this (as seen in the highlighted section below).
    List/Library ID
    Note:  The ID is in URL Encoded format.  To decode the ID you can manually replace the characters identified with the "%" sign using the "URL Encoding Table" link above or copy the sting into the Decode section using the "URL Encode/Decode" link above.  For example, the "%7B" represents the "{" character, "%2D" represents the "-" character and "%7D" represents "}" in the image above.
    1)  Click the "Settings" drop down and select "Start Data".
    2)  Click on the "ListID" variable.
    Nintex Start Data
    3)  Enter your list/library ID into the "Default value" field and click the "Add" button.
    Nintex ListID

Optional-Workflow Name:
    The workflow name can be modified to reflect the current type of Roles list that is being executed.  This will allow for muliple instances and configurations of the workflow to run on the same site.
    1)  Click the "Settings" drop down and select "Title and Description".
    2)  In the default name, the "- Projects" was used to specify the library to which this workflow was reading the permissions list.  This (and the description) may be changed to whatever is desired.
    3)  Click the "Save" button.

Configure the Execution Time:
    1)  Go back to the main page for the "Roles" list.
    2)  Click the drop down next to the "Control" text in the "Name" column and select "Schedule Workflows".
    3)  Click on the "Add Schedule" button.
    4)  This is the screen where you will configure how often to run the GetRoles workflow and refresh the data.  It is recommended that the default be set to repeat dailey in case any changes to the security permissions have been changed (highlighted below).  Also, make sure to select that the schedule runs "Indefinite".  This is important or your updates will end unexpectedly.
    Schedule Properties
    5)  At this point you have the opportunity to change the default "ListID" if desired.  Please see the description in the "Optional, but Recommended-ID of Infopath Form Library:" section about stopping and restarting the workflow.
    6)  Click the "Save" button
    Note:  Your workflow will now start on the "Control" record on the specified date and time and will continue to update according to the parameters entered on the screen shot above.

Creation of Views:
    A view for each role, that needs to be checked, needs to be created for InfoPath to read from.  This is due to the fact that a user may be a member of several groups.
    1)  In the upper right corner of the "Roles" list, click the drop down arrow next to the "All Items" view and click "Create View". 
    2)  Change the Filter criteria for the view based on the desired role.  The filter value must match exactly the SharePoint group name that was setup for use in the permissions.
    Filter Condition
    3)  Click the "OK" button.
    4)  Make sure the new view displays expected results
    5)  Repeat the above steps for each group that will need to be checked in the InfoPath form.

List Security:
    Security on the "Roles" list should be set up to allow only an administrator to start/stop the workflow and read only access for everyone else.  Read access is required so that the InfoPath form can access the data for the current logged on user whom it is trying to retrieve roles for.
    1)  From the main screen of the "Roles" list, click the "Settings" drop down and select the "List Settings" option.
    2)  Click on the option under the "Permissions and Management" column for ""Permissions for this list".
    3)  By default the list inherits permissions from the main page of the site.  Click the "Actions" drop down and select "Edit Permissions".  This will break permisions for this list.  When the warning box appears, click "OK".
    4)  Remove all permission except whomever is the Administrator (It is recommended this is either the Site Collection Administrator or Content Owner Administrator) and "NT AUTHORITY\authenticated users".  The Admin group can be given "Full" or "Contribute" permissions.  "NT AUTHORITY\authenticated users" should be given "Read" permissions.
    List Permissions

Use in InfoPath:
    The following is a list of instructions on how to implement the "Roles" list in InfoPath:

Hidden Fields:
    Some fields need to be set up in InfoPath to receive our Role data.  Our "Hidden Fields" are those elements that are in the forms data source, but not displayed on the form itself.  they are inserted in a group for organizational purposes.  For the purpose of this example, my data source fields are set up as the following:
    InfoPath Fields
    The "Role-" fields are "True/False (Boolean)" fields with a default value of "FALSE".  These fields represent each role that a user can have (that we are checking for).

The "CurrentUser" field is "Text" field with no default value.  This will store the information (ID) of the current logged on user.

Data Connections:

Roles:
    A secondary data connection will need to be set up for each role. 

Description:
    Creating a secondary data connection to a view allows for the filtering of the data returned to InfoPath.  This is most useful in list/libraries that contain large amounts of data so that only a sub set of the data is actually retrieved and sent to InfoPath.  This also allows InfoPath to take advantage of SharePoints sorting and filtering features.

Instructions:
    The instructions start from having the InfoPath form that you wish to create the data connection in open and in design mode.
    1)  Clicking on "Tools" in the menu bar and selection "Data Connections...".
    2)  Click on the "Add" button.
    3)  Click on the option for "Create a new connection to" and select "Receive data".  Click the "Next" button.
    4)  Select the option for "XML document" and click "Next".
    5)  In the text box a string of the following structure should be entered:
    http://< your site>/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?Cmd=Display&List=<Roles List ID>&View=<View ID of Role>&XMLDATA=TRUE

Example:
        If you do not know how to get the List ID, click here.  Instructions for finding the view ID can be found by clicking here.
    6)  Click "Next".
    7)  Select the option to "Access the data from the specified location" and click "Next".
    Note:  Do not check the option for "Store a copy of the data for offline use".  This will cache your data and make the security that you are applying inaccurate.
    8)  Enter a name for your data connection.  
    Note:  When entering a name for your data connection, I recommend something similar to:
    Role-<Group Name>

Example:
    Role-01G_GlobalMaint
        This will provide a descriptive name that is easy to decipher if changes need to be made later.
    9)  Check mark the box for "Automatically retreive data when form is opened".
    10) Click the "Finish" button. 

Repeat this process for each view that was created for each role  (See "Creation of Views:" section).

Current User:
    Instructions to create a data connection to get the current users information can be found here:

InfoPath-GetCurrentUserbyName

Instructions on how to have a secondary data connection to get a users information from Active Directory.

Description:
    Creating a secondary data connection to a view allows for the filtering of the data returned to InfoPath.  This is most useful in list/libraries that contain large amounts of data so that only a sub set of the data is actually retrieved and sent to InfoPath.  This also allows InfoPath to take advantage of SharePoints sorting and filtering features.

Instructions:
    Setup Connection:
    The instructions start from having the InfoPath form that you wish to create the data connection in open and in design mode.
    1)  Clicking on "Tools" in the menu bar and selection "Data Connections...".
    2)  Click on the "Add" button.
    3)  Click on the option for "Create a new connection to" and select "Receive data".  Click the "Next" button.
    4)  Select the option for "Web Service" and click "Next".
    5)  In the text box a string of the following structure should be entered:
    http://< your site collection>/_vti_bin/userprofileservice.asmx?wsdl

Example:
    6)  Click "Next".
    7)  Select the option to "GetUserProfileByName" and click "Next".
    8)  Leave the defaults for the parameter page and click "Next".
    9)  Do not check the option to "Store a copy of the data in the form template" as this can pull inaccurate user data depending on the connectivity status of the form.
    10) Enter a name for your data connection.  
    11) Check mark the box for "Automatically retreive data when form is opened".
    12) Click the "Finish" button.

Retrieve User Information:
    In order to get information from the secondary data connection that retrieves the users Active Directory information perform the following steps:

1)  In the "Data Source" section of the InfoPath form, create a text element to store the data that we are to retrieve.
    2)  Double-Click the field to go to it's properties.
    3)  In the "Default Value" section click the formula ("Fx") button next to the "Value" text box.
    4)  Click on the "Insert a Field or Group..." button.
    5)  Click the drop down the "Data Source" box and select your "GetUserProfileByName" data connection.  (In this example, mine is named "GetUserProfileByName-Requestor").
    Value
    6)  Navigate down the "dataFields" branch and select the "Value" field as shown in the picture above.
    7)  Click on the "Filter Data..." button.
    8)  Click on the "Add" button to add a filter to retrieve the data specific to your needs.
    9)  In the first drop down box, select the "Name" field.
    10) Leave the second box set to "is equal to".
    11) Drop down the third box and select "type text...".  This will allow you to enter the name of the Active Directory field you wish to retrieve for this selected user.  So for example:
    Filter
    will retreive the current users ID (domain\userID).  See the "Filter Options" section below for a list of standard Active Directory fields that can be filtered on.
    12) Continue to click "OK" until you get back to the form.

Modify to Retreive a Specified User:
    Active Directory information may be retreived for users other than the current logged on user.  To do this:
    1)  Open the form, in design mode.  A separate instance of the GetUserProfileByName is recommended for this functionality.  See the above steps from the "Instructions" section.  However, in step #11 do not check the option to "Automatically retreive data when form is opened".
    2)  Choose the field or button you wish to trigger this action and go to it's properties.
    3)  Click on "Rules"
    4)  Click on the "Add" button to add a rule entry.
    5)  Give your rule a descriptive name and/or a conditional statement if one applies.
    6)  Click on the "Add Action" button.
    7)  For the "Action" select "Set a field's value".
    8)  For the "Field" click the select button next to the text box.  Drop down the "Data Source" box and select your "GetUserProfileByName" data connection.  (In this example, mine is named "GetUserProfileByName-Requestor").
    9)  Navigate down the "queryFields" branch until you get to "AccountName".  Click on it and then click "OK".
    Options
    10) In the "Value" box, insert a field or value that is of the format domain/userID.  This can be retrieved a number of ways, including lookup to a SharePoint list.
    11) Click "OK".
    12) Click on the "Add Action" button to add another action to this Rule.
    13) In "Action", select "Query using a data connection".
    14) For the "Data Connection" field, choose your data connection that was selected in step #8 (mine was "GetUserProfileByName-Requestor").
    15) Continue to click the "OK" buttons until you arrive back at the form.

Whenever an action is taken on your field/button that the rule was applied to, the data connection will go out and retreive Active Directory information on the user supplied.

Filter Options:
    Below are a list of standard Active Directory fields that can be accessed using the filter method above:

UserProfile_GUID
    AccountName
    FirstName
    LastName
    PreferredName
    WorkPhone
    Office
    Department
    Title
    Manager
    AboutMe
    PersonalSpace
    PictureURL
    UserName
    QuickLinks
    WebSite
    PublicSiteRedirect
    SPS-Dotted-line
    SPS-Peers
    SPS-Responsibility
    SPS-Skills
    SPS-PastProjects
    SPS-Interests
    SPS-School
    SPS-SipAddress
    SPS-Birthday
    SPS-MySiteUpgrade
    SPS-DontSuggestList
    SPS-ProxyAddresses
    SPS-HireDate
    SPS-LastColleagueAdded
    SPS-OWAUrl
    SPS-ResourceAccountName
    SPS-MasterAccountName
    Assistant
    WorkEmail
    CellPhone
    Fax
    HomePhone

NOTE: The "AccountName" filter should be applied to the retrieved value to get the users login ID into a field value.

Form Configuration:
    A few rules need to be set up to execute when the form opens.  To enter these Form Option Rules:
    1)  Click on "Tools" in the menu bar and select "Form Options...".
    2)  In the "Category" pane, click on "Open and Save".
    3)  In the "Open Behavior" section, click on "Rules...".

Several rules are needed for the configuration of the Roles.
    Clear Roles:
    The Roles need to be cleared each time the form is opened.  Otherwise, the form will retain the roles of the last person to save the form.
    1)  Click the "Add..." button.
    2)  Enter "ClearRoles" in the name field for this rule.
    3)  Click the "Add Action..." button.
    4)  Set the "Action" to "Set a field's value".
    5)  Click the field selector button next to the text box for the "Field" entry.
    6)  Navigate through your field structure until you find one of the True/False (Boolean) fields that were set up in the "Hidden Fields" section (above) and started with "Role-" in the example.
    7)  Click the "OK" button.
    8)  Click the function button ("Fx") next to the "Value" text box.
    9)  Click the "Insert Function" button.
    10) Click the "false" entry in the "Functions" pane on the right side.
    11) Click "OK" three times until arriving back at the "Rules" page.
    12) Repeat the process to clear out the role for each variable that was created.  In the example used in the "Hidden Fields" section, this would be done three times.

Set Roles:
    There are two rules set up for each Role.  One to set the Role value to True and one for False.
    1)  Click the "Add..." button to create a new rule.
    2)  Type in a name for your Rule
    3)  Click the "Set Condition..." button.
    4)  In the first drop down box, select "The expression"
    5)  In the remaining text box, an XPath conditional expression is to be entered.  It is of the following format:
    False Condition (User not in Role):
    xdXDocument:GetDOM("<Name of your Data Connection for the Role you are comparing>")/xml/rs:data/z:row/@ows_Group[../@ows_UserID = xdXDocument:get-DOM()<Your field where you are storing the current users ID ("CurrentUser" in "HiddenFields" example)> = ""

Example:
    xdXDocument:GetDOM("Role-01G_GlobalMaint")/xml/rs:data/z:row/@ows_Group[../@ows_UserID = xdXDocument:get-DOM()/my:myFields/my:HiddenFields/my:CurrentUser] = ""

True Condition (User in Role):
    xdXDocument:GetDOM("<Name of your Data Connection for the Role you are comparing>")/xml/rs:data/z:row/@ows_Group[../@ows_UserID = xdXDocument:get-DOM()<Your field where you are storing the current users ID ("CurrentUser" in "HiddenFields" example)> != ""

Example:
    xdXDocument:GetDOM("Role-01G_GlobalMaint")/xml/rs:data/z:row/@ows_Group[../@ows_UserID = xdXDocument:get-DOM()/my:myFields/my:HiddenFields/my:CurrentUser] != ""
    6)  Click "OK"
    7)  Click the "Add Action..." button
    8)  Set the "Action" to "Set a field's value".
    9)  Click the field selector button next to the text box for the "Field" entry.
    10) Navigate through your field structure until you find the True/False (Boolean) field for the Role you are setting that was set up in the "Hidden Fields" section (above) and started with "Role-" in the example.
    7)  Click the "OK" button.
    8)  Click the function button ("Fx") next to the "Value" text box.
    9)  Click the "Insert Function" button.
    10) Click the "true" or "false" entry in the "Functions" pane on the right side depending on the condition you are setting.
    11) Click "OK" four times until arriving back at the "Rules for Opening Forms" page.
    12) Repeat the process to set a true and false condition for each Role.
    Use:
    When deciding to hide or show a section, button, field, etc...(object) on the form using the roles, perform the following steps:

1)  Double-click the object on the form to get to it's properties.
    2)  Click on the "Display" tab.
    3)  Click on the "Conditional Formatting..." button.
    4)  Click "Add..." to add a new condition.
    5)  Click the first drop down and select "Select a field or group...".
    6)  Navigate to the "Role-" variable that was created and set that you wish to check.
    7)  Click "OK".
    8)  Leave the middle box (for this example) set to "is equal to".
    9)  Set the third drop down to "FALSE".
    10) Click the "AND->" button and repeat this for any other Roles you wish to compare.
    11) Check the box next to "Hide this control.
    12) Click OK until you are back on the main form.

You have just now hidden an object for anyone that does not belong to the Roles you specified.
  • 07-06-2010 08:29 AM In reply to

• aliash
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-22-2010
    • Posts 6

Hi,

thanks so much for your detailed post.

I found this link and hope it may be useful to others :

http://blog.ianchivers.com/wordpress/?p=37

Details here :

Custom SharePoint User WebService V1.0 - (useful to switch views depending on the current user's SharePoint groups in Infopath)
    Actually the WebService has only one method: GetUserGroupsFromCurrentUser(). This method simply returns the current user's SharePoint Groups.
    But there's a build-in SharePoint WebService which does the same?! Yes, that's right! But the built-in service doesn't work with Infopath 2007!
    http://ilovesharepoint.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=15260
    Read more:
    http://cglessner.blogspot.com/2008/07/infopath-switch-view-depending-on.html
  • 10-12-2010 06:00 AM In reply to

I have gone through the whole process and the roles list is coming up with the Users and there groups as expected. However, I am ot getting the roles coming through to the Hidden boolean fields even though the data connections and xpath expressions look correct.

The hidden boolean fields just say 'false' .in both boxes.

The Xpath expressions are:

xdXDocument:GetDOM("Role-LARAdmin")/xml/rs:data/z:row/@ows_Group[../@ows_UserID = xdXDocument:get-DOM()/my:myFields/my:HiddendatasourceFields/my:CurrentUserID] = ""

xdXDocument:GetDOM("Role-LARUser")/xml/rs:data/z:row/@ows_Group[../@ows_UserID = xdXDocument:get-DOM()/my:myFields/my:HiddendatasourceFields/my:CurrentUserID] = ""

xdXDocument:GetDOM("Role-LARUser")/xml/rs:data/z:row/@ows_Group[../@ows_UserID = xdXDocument:get-DOM()/my:myFields/my:HiddendatasourceFields/my:CurrentUserID] != ""

xdXDocument:GetDOM("Role-LARAdmin")/xml/rs:data/z:row/@ows_Group[../@ows_UserID = xdXDocument:get-DOM()/my:myFields/my:HiddendatasourceFields/my:CurrentUserID] != ""

Any ideas please.....

• 10-12-2010 06:10 AM In reply to

If you put the CurrentUserID field on the form to check the ID of the current user, does it match any user listed in the Roles list?

• 10-12-2010 08:04 AM In reply to

Yes it does. However the two role fields below it just say 'false', so it seems that the xDX string is not doing the enumeration.  By the way, I am in both Role groups.

The actual data connections to the roles list are fine as we can run the paths in a browser and obtain the XML code.

The boolean fields are not bringing back the Roles for this use.

The fields look like this:

EUNET\OPARASA1

false

false

Also, the Roles list keeps clearing out everyday. On going into the workflow start data,  in the ListID variable, the List GUID for the form library keeps changing to the Roles GUID. I keep having to put this in. How can I hard code to stop this from happening, as I am

following the instructions. When i start it manually the roles come back but when the workflow runs automatically users the default list IT and obviously clears all the Roles.

• 10-14-2010 01:46 AM In reply to

I have come in today and the Roles list has automatically cleared itself again. I have just checked the GUID i put into the ListItem variable and its still there, so I really don't know why the roles are disappearing. I think if the Roles hardly change for the Admins then I think the workflow should not be set to run automatically if this issue can't be resolved. The workflow should be run manually when the there is a new admin or an admin has left.

• 10-14-2010 03:58 AM In reply to

OK, I think I have resolved the issue with the Roles list. Although the List Item ID variable has the correct List GUID, the actual workflow schedule did not, so I have now corrected the workflow schedule list GUID.

However, we still have an issue trying to clear roles. The roles are just not clearing, even though we have set them using your method. Could you please advise on Clearing Roles on form open.

Also,  to deal with the actual item level permissions on the List we will get Nintex workflow to set item level permissions on the List items after submission, as the contribute permission is defintely an issue for List security, considering the fact that users need the contribute permission to submit items.

So, please comment on the role clearing again as we can't clear them on form open. We have put in the rule but no joy.

• 10-15-2010 03:49 AM In reply to

We have now been able to get the Roles to clear but not using the xDX expressions. The have the User and admin roles. So we really need one main condition. If the user is not an Admin switch the View to read only.

On Form Load:

- To clear the admin role on form load: 1. set field value for Admin role to : false()   

2. set the the action role found in the admin view in the roles list to "" - which means null.

- Get Current user user the webservice 

- Get role form LAR Admin view: 

The actual admin role field we set to:  @ows_Group[@ows_UserID = CurrentUserID]   - This is being obtained from the secondary data connection to the view for admins

- SetBooleanRoleAdmin check box field.   1. set condition - If the admin field equals "Admins", then apply rule Role-admin=true

-Then switch view to read only when: ID=true() and Role-Admin field not equal to TRUE.

This has resolved our issue. But the solution on this website is the best idea out of the box that I have seen so far and the easiest to apply.

Many Thanks for this.

• 10-15-2010 03:50 AM In reply to

We have now been able to get the Roles to clear but not using the xDX expressions. The have the User and admin roles. So we really need one main condition. If the user is not an Admin switch the View to read only.

On Form Load:

- To clear the admin role on form load: 1. set field value for Admin role to : false()   

2. set the the action role found in the admin view in the roles list to "" - which means null.

- Get Current user user the webservice 

- Get role form  Admin view: 

The actual admin role field we set to:  @ows_Group[@ows_UserID = CurrentUserID]   - This is being obtained from the secondary data connection to the view for admins

- SetBooleanRoleAdmin check box field.   1. set condition - If the admin field equals "Admins", then apply rule Role-admin=true

-Then switch view to read only when: ID=true() and Role-Admin field not equal to TRUE.

This has resolved our issue. But the solution on this website is the best idea out of the box that I have seen so far and the easiest to apply.

Many Thanks for this.

• 11-04-2010 07:59 AM In reply to

Sorry I did not reply in a timely manner.  I was away for work and then at jury duty.  I am glad that you were able to modify it to fit your needs.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.