Create a Main Connection? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Create a Main Connection?

Last post 06-11-2009 02:33 PM by Patrick Halstead. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-11-2009 02:08 PM

• gramos
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-11-2009
    • Posts 1

Create a Main Connection?

I created my form using a Blank Form, everything is working now, but I realized I have to update a data in a table (SQL Server Database) when submiting the form, how can I create the Main Connection in the Data connections? By doing this i can relate my form to a table.

Is there another way to update a table without the Main Connection?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Gaby

• 06-11-2009 02:33 PM In reply to

Re: Create a Main Connection?

Hi Gaby,

Well, this is the first reason behind why we developed our Qdabra Database Accelerator (DBXL) - free download available. Using InfoPath, you can't just add a Main Data Connection after the fact. However, using InfoPath + DBXL, you can do this by specifying a mapping between the data source in your form and your database. It's a best practice to have loosely coupled forms and databases anyway since changes to the database require changes to the form and vice versa when you have a "tight coupling". Loose couplings let you change one or the other without breaking the submit process.

Tom's 10 minute video describes how this works: http://www.screencast.com/users/qdabra/folders/Default/media/46fa1700-c3a8-4696-93c0-4e3cf03703b7

You can recreate your form from scratch and bind it to SQL but whenever something changes, you may have issues. Best to use a Web Service. That's the best practice.

Patrick Halstead
    Project Manager at Qdabra
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.