Help - I do not know to a master and 7 linked tables appear in form - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Help - I do not know to a master and 7 linked tables appear in form

Last post 02-04-2009 11:09 PM by Ian Dawson. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-03-2009 12:49 AM

• Ian Dawson
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-01-2009
    • Shellharbour NSW Australia
    • Posts 154

Help - I do not know to a master and 7 linked tables appear in form

I am a newbie, and I am still treading carefully through the amazing structures that can be built with InfoPath.

Thank you all people for earlier reply postings to my queries.
    Some of the replies I have not quite understood, and some seem to have typos. 
    I am sure some of my questions were much the same too.

My problem: 
    In my earlier postings, I referred to a large Form.
    It had a correspondingly LARGE Access database.

But now as I am having Access problems, I have decided to split up that one large Access table into 6 smaller tables.

Reason splitting up the table was, only 255 fields (columns) allowed , and each time a field is deleted the Access system does not remember to reduce the "columns used" counter.
    So, as I have over 230 fields, and added and deleted fields, in an Access table, but the Access system thinks I have over 255.

So I have resigned to using 6+ small tables, a recomendation by a UtterAssess respondent.

Cause for this query
    I now have one field commonly used in all tables.
    I presumed it was possible, and have used the InfoPath Form structure from before, before the Access table was split up.
    The original form is 3+ pages long. And quite complex in structure - conditions and rules.
    I was loath to have to rebuild it, and thought I could use the same Print View. With a few mods.
    I am getting duplicate field usage remarks on controls inserted.
    So I am thinking that there are too many fields, not sectioned off properly, or have I not Data connected properly.

My data connection was created as follows -  the master table is added first, I then add each other table and relationship with that master.

The form, has a header section, to allow key field input.
    A repeat section. That was used to display all fields related to the key field.
    And a couple of buttons such as Initialise, Query, Switch(to the PrintView) and Submit.

And the I have the print view.

I am not sure how I should be using the sections and other controls etc in my InfoPath form
    to allow the correct input of data from the Access database?
    Can you please help me to understand what Controls should be used, and how they should be used. 

Looking forward to a response.

Thanking you beforehand.
    Ian 

• 02-04-2009 11:09 PM In reply to

• Ian Dawson
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-01-2009
    • Shellharbour NSW Australia
    • Posts 154

Re: Help - I do not know to a master and 7 linked tables appear in form

I created a repeating table for the master table.

And a separate section for each other table within the repeating section.

As I didn't have to intermix the data in the subordinate tables on the form, everything should be okay.

Thanks all for your help.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.