Pushing out changes to existing infopath forms? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Pushing out changes to existing infopath forms?

Last post 12-16-2008 03:58 PM by Ted Fitch. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-12-2008 08:50 AM

Pushing out changes to existing infopath forms?

I am currently developing a couple of InfoPath forms for use in SharePoint. Our users brought up a question that I was not too sure about. They wanted to know if InfoPath pushes out changes to the original form template to already created documents. They are thinking that after the form is released, they will probably need to make some revisions to it, however, they do not want the users to fill out a completely new form. Any info. is appreciated. Thank you.

• 12-13-2008 04:58 AM In reply to

• Shiva
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2005
    • India
    • Posts 694

Re: Pushing out changes to existing infopath forms?

Hello,

We can do this using code. We can have original form in one place of SharePoint. In onLoad, we have to write the code load the Original form and we have to populate what are field values to store in your form.

For this we have to check form is new or not using XDocument.IsNew property will give the form opening new its return true.

• 12-16-2008 10:14 AM In reply to

Thank you Shiva. Do you know if there are any infopath help files or other guidance documents I can use to accomplish this?
  • 12-16-2008 03:58 PM In reply to

geoffc:

I am currently developing a couple of InfoPath forms for use in SharePoint. Our users brought up a question that I was not too sure about. They wanted to know if InfoPath pushes out changes to the original form template to already created documents. They are thinking that after the form is released, they will probably need to make some revisions to it, however, they do not want the users to fill out a completely new form. Any info. is appreciated. Thank you.

InfoPath handles upgrades automatically, as Shiva said you can write code if you want to manage the upgrade process and in some cases it is required that you use your own upgrade code to perform the upgrade of old XML's (when you make schema changes for example).  But in many cases InfoPath will do this automatically.

You users existing forms should be upgraded in most cases without issue and existing data would not be lost - they will just have the new fields there.

here is an article you might find helpful in explaining the options in InfoPath to do this:

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/0735621160/ch08lev1sec3?portal=oreilly

hope that helps

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.