How to Add a Centrally Managed Data Connection? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Office365 Alert - Sandbox has been deprecated in SharePoint Online.
Read more here.

Having trouble finding a blog or post that answers your question? Check out our Custom Search Page

How to Add a Centrally Managed Data Connection?

Last post 12-07-2011 10:48 PM by dootndo2. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-16-2008 03:35 AM

How to Add a Centrally Managed Data Connection?

Hi,

I have uploaded a data connection file (UDCX) to my sharepoint server's Central Admin using STSADM. 

However, in the InfoPath form designer when I go to Data Connections >> Add >> Search for connections on MOSS >> http://MossServer:8000  no data connection files are found.

Am I missing something? How do you reference a centrally managed data connection file?

Many thanks

• 04-16-2008 06:03 AM In reply to

Re: How to Add a Centrally Managed Data Connection?

Is the data connection library at this top level? Can you see it in SharePoint?

You should be able to browse but would need to navigate to the correct level.

• 08-28-2008 01:25 PM In reply to

I'm curious if this was ever remedied? I am having a similar problem. I've got a .udcx file at

Central Administration > Application Management > Manage Data Connection Files   and I can't seem to reference it. When i look for it in InfoPath i can only navigate to the //server:27661/ site which doesn't have the Data Connection Library.

If i try to convert an existing data connection to a centrally managed data connection i run into the same problem.

Thanks for your time.

• 08-30-2008 01:30 AM In reply to

I have exactly the same problem

my sharepoint server : serverx with the central administration on serverx:8000

my database server (sql server 2005) : servery

I upload udcx file to 'application management > Infopath Forms Services > Manage Data Conecction Files' and check the 'Allow HTTP access to this file'.

I open infopath and i go to Tools > DataConnections then i add 'http:serverx:8000' for searching udcx file but this message is show :

No data connection libraries were found on the specified site.

• 09-15-2008 08:50 AM In reply to

It's been a while since I fixed this, but this is how I went about it:

1. Created my local InfoPath form. 
    2. Created the connections
    3. Made the connections UDCXs
    4. Using advanced options, made them centrally managed UDCXs
    5. Uploaded the UDCXs to central admin's DCL
    6. Uploaded the InfoPath form to Central Admin and activated it to the selected site collection
    7. I don't think the form will be able to contact the UDCX when you're designing it locally, think you have to test it when deployed to sharepoint
    8. There's probably more faffing about than I can remember, but that should in theory work

Hope that helps somewhat.

• 08-19-2009 11:39 AM In reply to

I really dislike the implication of Step 7.
  • 01-11-2010 08:07 PM In reply to

• ruselw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2009
    • Posts 3

Data connection files are completely useless.  They do give you the ability to update a web service URL without republishing your form.  However, they lock you into the location of the data connection library... FOREVER!  Just try to update the location where a form references a data connection file.  You can't do it.  Republishing will not help you here.  The only way you can change the location is to delete the connection, add a new one, and rebuild all form logic related to the connection.  You can get around this at runtime by using a centrally managed library, but at design time, InfoPath will always look for the file in the original local library where you first referenced it.  That means any time you need to update a data connection, maybe to add a field, the original library on the original development box has to be accessible.  If the original library is not there, you can trick InfoPath into thinking it is by using the Hosts file.  Is it just me, or does this defeat the point of using a config file?

• 12-07-2011 10:48 PM In reply to

You can edit the xsn file to change the reference to the data connection file.  Just change the path.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Copyright © 2003-2017 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.