Inserting New Row on Repeating Table Ignores Rules? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Having trouble finding a blog or post that answers your question? Check out our Custom Search Page

Inserting New Row on Repeating Table Ignores Rules?

Last post 02-12-2017 04:32 PM by Nate003. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-31-2017 04:51 PM

Inserting New Row on Repeating Table Ignores Rules?

Hello there,

I am having an issue on my form when inserting a new row on a repeating table. What i have is a selection of non-repeating sections and a repeating table that houses cascading drop down boxes. The cascading drop down boxes emulate information provided from a customer call enquiry, some calls may only have one enquiry, however other calls may have multiple. So the ability to have only one row on some forms, while having multiple rows on other forms is crucial. The non-repeating fields are used for one time questions to the customer and are completed by the phone operator. Some of the non-repeating sections are hidden and only appear on the form if a specific selection is made in a preceding field by the phone operator; This is done through the utilization of rules. Everything works as expected until the user clicks on insert new item. Once they click insert new item, if they have completed the fields that have the rules attached to them, those fields then disappear from the form.

I have attached a sample of the form

I am at a loss as to why this is happening, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

• 02-01-2017 07:48 AM In reply to

Re: Inserting New Row on Repeating Table Ignores Rules?

Can you attach some screenshots showing the issue? The options tab only lets you attach a single file - maybe paste some screenshots into a Word doc or something?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-01-2017 02:24 PM In reply to

I have pasted some screenshots below, I am not 100% sure if they will be visible when I click post. So if you could let me know that would be great. I have tried to show and explain as best I could. Let me know if you need any more clarification or explanations :) thank you in advance

• 02-01-2017 02:28 PM In reply to

Nope, they aren't visible. Can you paste them into a Word doc and attach that under the Options tab in a reply?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-01-2017 02:35 PM In reply to

It won't seem to allow me to attach a word document, it says that file extension is not allowed. I could insert the images one at a time?

• 02-01-2017 02:39 PM In reply to

How annoying. I just changed the setting, so hopefully it will let you now, or just put the files in a ZIP so you don't have post 3 times. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-01-2017 02:53 PM In reply to

Great I can now attach the word document :) thank you for that. Let me know if it doesn't make sense or need more clarification. Its got me stumped

• 02-01-2017 03:02 PM In reply to

I don't know what the forum did to your file, but it won't let me download it. I'll email you via the forum & you can send it to me.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-01-2017 03:44 PM In reply to

This is all related to how you've laid this out - you have the repeating fields in non-repeating sections, which I am sure is causing a number of issues. What is your desired outcome? That the user answers those questions only one time, but in the database, all rows have the same answer?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-01-2017 06:19 PM In reply to

At this point in time, it is unclear if all of the answers will be required on all rows of the database. There is a possibility that some will be required over all rows, while others may not. I am aware that you can set a default value using the last() function to have a fields data be repeated on every row. But yes, my laying out is not great or efficient, I am only new with InfoPath and have been learning and teaching myself so I imagine a few of my issue lay within the sectioning

• 02-01-2017 06:48 PM In reply to

I have also tried using repeating sections, and I have the same issue. I may be way off on how im laying this out

• 02-02-2017 10:08 AM In reply to

Well - later today I'll do up a sample based on the form you sent me so you have a couple options you can look at. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-02-2017 02:59 PM In reply to

Here's a copy of your form set up w/ repeating sections - one thing I noticed was I initially had the same issue w/ your dropdowns, even when I had them inside appropriately bound section - I ended up rebinding the dropdowns (right click, change binding, select random field inside the repeating table, change binding again and select correct field). Save the file locally, right click and select design to open in design mode. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-02-2017 03:12 PM In reply to

I really appreciate your help with this issue :) I will try and have a look at the sample and see how it is. However I wont be able to download the copy you attached, due to restrictions on my works network. Is it possible to email it to the same address you messaged me on earlier? I apologise for the inconvenience.

Did rebinding them sort it out? That seems a little weird that it is required to bind them incorrectly and then rebind them for InfoPath to work properly in that regard.

• 02-02-2017 03:21 PM In reply to

Rebinding fixed the issue I was seeing & yah, I'll email the file to you. That wasn't a normal thing to have to do - I think it was because they were in sections bound to fields outside the repeating group, and then I just copied the whole mess into the repeating group section :)
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2003-2017 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.