Risk Analysis - Best Practice help / ideas - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Having trouble finding a blog or post that answers your question? Check out our Custom Search Page

Risk Analysis - Best Practice help / ideas

Last post 02-27-2017 08:30 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-09-2016 08:22 AM

Risk Analysis - Best Practice help / ideas

Hello,

I'm looking for a little help or ideas on how best setup this task in InfoPath 2010.

I'm trying to setup a simple risk analysis system using two list boxes. 1. Risk and 2. Probability. Each have values setup with:  1 = Low, 2 = Medium and 3 = High

Risk Ranking Table

Risk
    (Listbox1) 
    Probability
    (Liskbox2) 
    Low
    Medium
    High

The idea is to select listbox1 and choose 1, 2 or 3 then in listbox2 select 1, 2 or 3. the results are as shown in the table above. choose 1 and 1 you get 1, choose 2 and 3 you get 7! (eh!! I know!)

In Excel I use the INDEX Function - Not sure InfoPath has this so I'm looking for any help or ideas on how to complete this.

Is my only option to use rules?

Thanks in advance,

Mike 

• 11-16-2016 04:52 PM In reply to

Re: Risk Analysis - Best Practice help / ideas

Sorry I was so slow to reply to this! I think I'd use an XML file as a resource in the form for this - let me know if you are still considering options and I can work up a sample for you.

Hilary Stoupa

• 11-17-2016 11:41 AM In reply to

Hello Hilary, Sorry I also forgot about this post... I kinda got around it with using rules. Turned out I only needed about 9 lines of rules, not great and doesn't look quite as professional but it works, just about. I have no idea how to create xml files so unless you could give me a little example and one that takes you no longer than say 5 minutes to create. then I'd stay with my 9 rules. You're a superstar anyway Thanks for replying. Mike
  • 11-17-2016 12:26 PM In reply to

Challenge accepted (though I just used dropdown boxes for Risk & Probability due to being lazy). Download the attached sample, right click, select Design & from there you can preview. The matrix.xml is a resource file in the form, so you can see how I set it up. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 11-18-2016 02:36 PM In reply to

LOL - Hilary, I really didn't mean it as a challenge...:-) Your a Rock Star! this is exactly what I'm looking for. Think I should take some xml lessons, they look so easy script and really quite effective. I don't know what goes on in my head but I just become blank with a blank sheet of paper with xml. As always - Perfect Hilary, Many thanks Mike
  • 11-18-2016 02:44 PM In reply to

Try Notepad ++ with the XML plugin - it makes writing XML easy. Then you can just think about how you want the data structured... Another thing you can do is create a little InfoPath form with the data structure you want, then preview the form, fill out your data and save the XML (just File > Save) and ta-da! you have an XML file! :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 01-13-2017 03:44 AM In reply to

Hello Hilary, sorry to come back to this.. oh Happy New year BTW.

I did get my head around the xml file and edited the template you gave me - I've inserted it into my form and made all the necessary connections etc. works fine.

The problem I have, when I try and get the calculated value "Result" its not working or doesn't show me anything.

I'm using two dropdown listbox, (which on your example would be field1 & feild2), mine have data connection to a SharePoint list library. I've set the properties for each dropdown as follows:

Field name: cmb01 & cmbE1

Data type: Text (string)

Data source: Risk Assessment Data

Entries: *to the top level of the  Risk Assessment Data*

Value: *lookups Number value*

Display name: *lookups Title* 

Again, this seems to work fine - and yet the calculated value is blank!

The text box for the calc value I've set the default value (fx) as: Result[Risk = cmbO1 and Probability = cmbE1] 

Its like the calculated value because its looking at the display name and not the Value? 

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks

Mike  

• 01-13-2017 07:39 AM In reply to

Any chance I can see your form? You have my email?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 01-14-2017 04:52 AM In reply to

Hilary - Thanks for the help. Here's the thing. I think I've found out what the problem is? This doesn't seem to work with dropdown list boxes that retrieve data from a secondary data connection? As a test, I've recreated this data connection to use two repeating tables, both having two columns, title & score. Ive then added 5 field lines with default values in each table. Severity: 1 Nuisance 2 minor 3 moderate 4 major 5 severe/worst case Probability: 1 Remote/improbable 2 unlikely 3 occasional 4 likely 5 frequent Then in the two dropdown listbox's - I've used "get choices from fields in this form" and hit each of the repeating tables and guess what! it all works fine. So my problem seems to come from using data connection and populating these fields with a secondary connection - Seems strange I know but at least I have a work-a-round Not sure if you want to confirm but if you connect your matix template you gave me, set field 1 & field 2 to secondary connections from sharepoint list. Set the list box properties so that value is title and Display name is score. see if you get the same thing as me? I'd be interested to know. Otherwise, Think I'm fine Hilary and sorry to have bothered you. Thanks again, Mike x
  • 01-17-2017 12:00 PM In reply to

So - you have an issue when you use 2 lists, but not when you use 1? I'm confused again. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 01-17-2017 01:41 PM In reply to

Sorry Hilary, - I only have a problem if I use a dropdown list box and connect to a secondary data connection. Setting the listbox properties so that the Value: = a number and display name: = title. So when the user clicks the dropdown list box when running the form, they see titles as a select option, when they click one, they're given the number value shown in the box. What I've found, the risk calculation doesn't seem to work when I use this method or data connection and splitting the properties with Value & Display name: - The reply calculation using the matrix is blank. To be honest Hilary - I've now got around this by creating repeating tables and adding the data I need within the form, then connecting each dropdown list box to each table and keep all the lookups within the form and not SharePoint. All is working fine. I was just wondering if I was correct and not being able to use secondary data connections in this way? Thanks Mike
  • 01-17-2017 02:11 PM In reply to

You should be able to use secondary data connections for this - it is likely that something was incorrect in your XPath filter or it needed to be more complex (like, for example, if you needed to compare on the display field rather than the value, you'd have to go look up the display based on the selected value....). As long as you have it working, NBD, just was curious what had gone awry. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-27-2017 03:59 AM In reply to

Hilary, I need help again sorry...

It seems as I thought I'd got around one problem, I've given myself another... Because I'm using a repeating table and hiding sections or rows that are not selected on a previous page, the items that are displayed have the risk rack dropdown boxes and depending what's selected gives a score.

See the pictures below or attached.

The idea is a person selects from the dropdowns P(L) & S(C) and the score is calculated based on the selection. My problem is, all the other fields in the repeating table pick up the same score.  

Please help

Thanks

Mike 

• 02-27-2017 04:11 AM In reply to

Hilary,

Sorry about this, this is the second time I've wrote this post - Not sure where the first post went? Sorry if you get two.

Can you help me? After all the trouble I had getting this Risk Matrix to work. I now have another issue. All the values in unselected dropdown boxes are being populated when only one row has data selected.

I thought InfoPath would only work with each row? Is there a way to correct this? 

• 02-27-2017 07:45 AM In reply to

Sorry, you got trapped in the moderation queue - I need to figure out why that is happening for some users. I tightened the SPAM controls recently after an out of control attack. :)

Your screenshots don't show - can you attach them under the Options tab in a reply? 

Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2003-2017 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.