Can't open form in Design mode: URGENT!!! - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Having trouble finding a blog or post that answers your question? Check out our Custom Search Page

Can't open form in Design mode: URGENT!!!

Last post 11-06-2014 09:42 PM by nidhi. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-18-2005 01:47 PM

Can't open form in Design mode: URGENT!!!

Hey Guys,

Well, when I went to continue designing my form today, I was greeted with a very cold error. I went to open the form in design mode as usual and it gave me the following error, "Infopath has encountered an error. The operation failed." Now the only thing, that I am certain of, that has happened since the last time I edited this form was that I copied the folder that the form resides in to a usb drive for backup purposes. I can open the form to fill it out just fine, no errors, but when I try to design (both from explorer and from inside of Infopath), I get this vague and discusting error.

Thanks for the help guys
  • 07-18-2005 08:44 PM In reply to

Re: Can't open form in Design mode: URGENT!!!

Looks like one of those rare roundtrip bugs. How are you trying to open the form in the designer? Are there any details in the form's error message?

Patrick Halstead [InfoPath MVP]
    InfoPathDev
    Patrick Halstead
    Project Manager at Qdabra
  • 07-18-2005 09:28 PM In reply to

Hi,
    "Infopath has encountered an error. The operation failed." is this the only error message you are getting?

You can try one thing when you open the form to fill it out, go to "Tools->Design this form" and check out if the form opens in design mode.

Agni
    InfoPathDev India
  • 07-19-2005 03:07 PM In reply to

Thanks for the responses guys. I've tried viewing the form and then selecting "Design This Form" from the tools menu. I've tried right clicking on the file in explorer and selecting Design. I've also tried to open with "Design a Form" in Infopath. All yield the same highly lacking error. Actually, as much of a pain as it has been to remake the form again, I've started making another one so it's not horribly bad, but an inconvinience none the less.
  • 07-19-2005 06:19 PM In reply to

So, you must have a roundtrip error then. We can investigate it for you, but you'll have to send us the xsn file.

InfoPathDev
    Patrick Halstead
  • 07-20-2005 02:31 PM In reply to

• kami
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-20-2005
    • USA
    • Posts 1

Hi people,
    I also encountered the same problem when I was creating some forms with infopath. I think I moved the original form file around in my own computer and suddenly I cannot open the form in design mode. I can still open the form without any problem but I just cannot get into the design mode.
    My error message however, is different to what wcotech got above.
    The error said "InfoPath cannot open the following form: (path to the form). Microsoft Office InfoPath cannot open the selected form."
    That's all I got.
    Thanks for the help in advance.
  • 07-20-2005 06:27 PM In reply to

In order to debug these, we will need to look at your forms. Please send e-mail with the xsn files attached and we will take a look at them.

InfoPathDev
    Patrick Halstead
  • 09-04-2005 07:41 PM In reply to

I am having the exact same problem, even when I re-designed the form from scratch. I would be happy to send you the original form template, can you tell me where or how to send it to you?

Thanks,

Pablo O. Monasterio
  • 09-07-2005 10:59 PM In reply to

• erezl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-06-2005
    • Israel
    • Posts 12

I have also had the same problem.
    I was trying to be smart and save the form each minute but when i have tried to open the form in design mode for all backup i got the same problem.

Best regards

Erez
  • 09-09-2005 12:10 AM In reply to

There are a few bugs in InfoPath Designer. I can't promise you that we can "resurrect" your forms, but we have ways to fix them. Anyway, send these to "support" at infopathdev.com, and we'll take a look.

InfoPathDev
    Patrick Halstead
  • 09-11-2005 05:27 AM In reply to

• erezl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-06-2005
    • Israel
    • Posts 12

I had a last form that was working, and I have made a comparison between those 2 and the file that cause all the problem was view2.xsl.
    That view contains the code that I have made to all combos that were under conditional formatting.
    Erez
  • 09-11-2005 06:26 AM In reply to

• erezl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-06-2005
    • Israel
    • Posts 12

I HAVE FOUND THE PROBLEM!
    INSERTING AN EMPTY CONTROL LIKE SECTION WON'T ENABLE OPEN IN DESIGN, IN LATER STAGE!!
    EREZ
  • 09-11-2005 06:40 AM In reply to

• erezl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-06-2005
    • Israel
    • Posts 12

That in on normal section control, not on optional section
  • 09-11-2005 06:53 AM In reply to

• erezl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-06-2005
    • Israel
    • Posts 12

but again when you have to display the section with a combo (it means) setting the section as normal. And again form is destroyed.
  • 09-11-2005 10:53 PM In reply to

Erez!
    Cool! So, you have a repro scenario. This is great. Can you reproduce this with a brand new form? In other words, create a blank form add an empty control and try to reopen in Designer? If so, I can send the repro scenario to Microsoft.

InfoPathDev
    Patrick Halstead
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2003-2018 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.