Data From Form Not Showing in Sharepoint - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Data From Form Not Showing in Sharepoint

Last post 08-10-2018 11:18 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-06-2018 07:01 PM

• Jen B
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2012
    • Posts 96

Data From Form Not Showing in Sharepoint

I am flummoxed and hope someone has seen this happen before.  I have InfoPath 2010 Filler forms published to MOSS 2010.  Due to the high number of fields necessary for our department to receive and track their work, I set up three libraries to break up the fields.  I have 3 identical forms - we'll call them 1, 1a, 1b.  Form 1 gets published to our "main" library where people submit new requests.  Forms 1a and 1b are basically used to promote specific fields to libraries 1a and 1b.  Based on rules logic, when a person hits submit the data from the form gets pushed to the main library and, if certain criteria are met, pushed to either 1a, 1b, or both.  This has worked quite well for years now, until a recent publish.

I recently added about 9 number (decimal) fields to our form so a specific team could track their work hours. (Mimicking what another team already had been using)  I updated form 1 and form 1a with identical fields then promoted the fields to ONLY library 1a.  The columns are all there, however, no data is showing up when the forms are updated and saved.

I tried: removing and re-adding the fields;; removing, creating a column in sharepoint, then publishing the field to that column, and changing one of the number fields to a text field just in case it was a limit on the amount of number fields I could have in the library... nothing is working.

I then tried promoting 1 of the fields to the main library using form 1 just to see what would happen... and the data shows up there.  WTH?

Does anyone have any clue as to why the data is not showing up for form/library 1a??  This process to parcel out the field load to three libraries has worked brilliantly and just suddenly isn't happening.  Oh, and note, during that same update/publish I promoted a handful of other new fields and they ALL are working/showing data.  It's just these 9 number fields that are causing me a headache.

All help and suggestions are appreciated!

Jen 

• 08-07-2018 08:24 AM In reply to

Re: Data From Form Not Showing in Sharepoint

Internally in the manifest, there is a GUID for the promoted column - if they don't match, they get blanked out when you republish. Publishing from library to another may be causing the issue. One way to check is to open (you don't have to save / submit) one of the forms where data isn't showing. After opening the form, is the data now showing in the list? Refresh your web page after opening and check. If so - there are some easy fixes. The most crazy is to open the library in Explorer view and copy all the forms. Paste them in a folder locally. As they paste, SharePoint updates the promoted properties and then you can delete the local folder after they have all copied over.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 08-07-2018 09:21 AM In reply to

• Jen B
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2012
    • Posts 96

Hi Hilary!

Thank you for the reply.  I think I followed the steps you mentioned correctly, but didn't see the data populate in the sharepoint when I had one of the forms open.  Just to confirm, I opened one of the forms, while it was open, I refreshed the library and still didn't see the data appear.  I can check out the manifest file if I know what to look for...

Any other ideas?  It is baffling me as this set up has worked quite well for years and many (many!) changes/adds to fields where the field only gets published to a secondary library and not the primary via the duplicate form. 

Thank you again,

Jen 

• 08-07-2018 10:28 AM In reply to

If you look at your library columns under settings, are there duplicated promoted properties? I've seen that happen too. In the manifest, the promoted fields are found here: /xsf:xDocumentClass/xsf:listProperties/xsf:fields and the actual columns are here: /xsf:xDocumentClass/xsf:extensions/xsf:extension/xsf2:solutionDefinition/xsf2:listPropertiesExtension/xsf2:fieldsExtension where the columnId attribute is the GUID of the column in the SharePoint library.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 08-07-2018 11:20 AM In reply to

• Jen B
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2012
    • Posts 96

Hello again,

I looked in the library settings and there are no duplicates.  That would have been nice if it was that easy. 

I've found the promoted columns in the manifest and the columnId in the other section.  My assumption is that I then need to get the GUID of the column from sharepoint to compare?  Based on that assumption, I dug a bit to find out how to do that.  The issue is that, when I use the URL that brings up the xml of the list, it totally bogs down and just keeps loading forever.

I was using this option to bring up the list xml:  [libraryURL]//_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?Cmd=ExportList&List=[LibraryGUID] 

Is there another way to get the GUID of the column from sharepoint?  Or, do I even need to?

Below is a screen capture of the promoted fields highlighting one of the naughty fields.  I've also attached a file showing the same field name appearing in the section with the columnIds.  Unsure where to go from here...

Thank you, Hilary,

Jen 

• 08-07-2018 11:28 AM In reply to

• Jen B
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2012
    • Posts 96

Looks like the screen capture isn't showing so here's the other in attachment form.

• 08-07-2018 11:47 AM In reply to

So - it is library 1a where the fields don't get populated? in library 1 they do? Are the XML in library 1a linked to the template in 1a? They aren't, right? They are just submitted to 1a. What happens if you relink one of the forms in 1a (under the Relink view in the library)?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 08-07-2018 12:51 PM In reply to

• Jen B
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2012
    • Posts 96

Yes, it is library 1a where the data isn't showing.  Form/Template 1a is published to that library, but - upon submission - it's really form 1 that is opened up in all of the libraries.  I'm not sure about the definition on linked in the situation since, technically, form 1a is the template published to library 1a, BUT if you go to relink documents in the library, the template link is technically the form/template from library 1.

I did try relinking last night, too, and that didn't help the situation.  It does link the form to template 1a in library 1a, but the data still doesn't show up.

Yes, as a test last night and then the work around for the team for reporting, I did promote the same fields to library 1 and all of the data shows up there.  It's just not the ideal situation since all of the team's other information is in the other library.  Granted, it's just a vlookup to combine info, but it's silly that they have to do it. 

• 08-07-2018 12:57 PM In reply to

So if you promote the fields in the form published to library 1 (you wouldn't have to display them in the view) what happens in 1a? Honestly, I'd probably be using a content type for this so that you could have just one form, published as a content type, activated to all the libraries and then set up your views to show only the columns you need .... I'm not at all sure why this had been working for you and then stopped if all the forms are linked to library 1.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 08-09-2018 11:00 AM In reply to

• Jen B
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2012
    • Posts 96

Yeah, I recall trying to figure out how to use a content type for the form when we had to move to the three library set up, but didn't have the expertise to do it.  We were on a tight turn around as we previous were just using one library and it crashed on me (I could no longer publish updates due to timeout issues likely caused by the sheer number of fields we had in a single library).  I would have loved to determine how to do it, but got stuck and couldn't take the time to figure it out as we were at a standstill for getting work requests and making updates to already submitted requests.

To answer your question, when I promote the fields to library 1 and see the data, nothing changes in 1a.  

I'm also baffled as to why this worked for so long and then suddenly stopped for a handful of fields when others promoted at the same time ARE working.  My only thought is that I may have hit the sharepoint limit on the number of Number fields allowed.   

• 08-09-2018 11:13 AM In reply to

Yah it is really baffling. But the columns you've promoted are in the Library > Settings > Columns in 1a, right? Just no data showing in them.... Are you using site columns for these? Maybe that's what's different - maybe you'd used site columns for the others, but not for these? Sorry - I'm just confused as to how this was working at all. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 08-10-2018 08:52 AM In reply to

• Jen B
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2012
    • Posts 96

LOL  That's a scary comment!  I guess before we migrate to 2013, I should learn about setting up the form as a content type and see if I can swap us over to that during the migration.  Do you know of any good resources for that?

You are correct, the columns are there in library 1a, just no data.  I created the columns during the promoting process as I've done in the past.  As a test, I tried the option of creating a list column in the library and promoting to that column instead, but it didn't change anything.  I guess we may be stuck with just using library 1 to grab the data as I can't think of anything else to try to get the data to show. 

• 08-10-2018 11:18 AM In reply to

As to using content types - when you publish the form, take the option of publishing as a content type. Usually I have a library called "Form Templates" where I keep my content types - you'll be prompted to select a library on SharePoint as a location as you publish. Then, in each library, under Advanced Settings, change it to use a content type. Finally, in the settings page, you can set your published form as the default content type and deselect the content type that is created when you change the library to allow content types. My one concern is that it sounds like you had set up these separate libraries because you were exceeding the column limits - using a content type won't work around that, unfortunately.
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Copyright © 2003-2018 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.