Deprecated SOAP Connection to SharePoint Online User Profile - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Deprecated SOAP Connection to SharePoint Online User Profile

Last post 07-16-2018 09:06 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-11-2018 08:19 AM

• IbisVF
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-11-2018
    • Posts 4

Deprecated SOAP Connection to SharePoint Online User Profile

According to Microsoft they have deprecated the SOAP Data Connection in InfoPath in SharePoint Online. This means that in forms that have this data connection it no longer works. I have a lot of forms out there that are using this data connection, but I cannot open the form in InfoPath Designer 2013 because the connection fails, preventing the form from opening. Is there a way to edit the form or suspend the data connection outside of InfoPath designer? Has this caused issues for other InfoPath form users?
  • 07-11-2018 08:27 AM In reply to

Re: Deprecated SOAP Connection to SharePoint Online User Profile

Yikes. So - I'm surprised the form won't open in design mode. Are you going into the Library Settings > Advanced > Edit Template to open in design mode? If so, and it is failing, I'd open the library in Windows Explorer (I think you have to use IE for this option - under the Library tab). If the form is published to a library, you'll find it in the Forms folder and can right click and select Design to open in Design mode.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 07-11-2018 08:30 AM In reply to

Also - is the info about this being deprecated online anywhere? I'd love a link to it if you have one.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 07-11-2018 08:38 AM In reply to

• IbisVF
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-11-2018
    • Posts 4

Most are SharePoint Lists with a custom form. I tried opening in Designer from the List Ribbon and also from List Settings in Form Settings. Same error message. I think I saw it in the Office 365 Admin Messages. I will find it and post it when I do.
  • 07-11-2018 08:41 AM In reply to

Euw, hadn't thought about list forms. So, I think if you start from InfoPath Designer, select List form, enter the URL, IP will open the list form in design mode. Worth a try?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 07-11-2018 09:22 AM In reply to

• IbisVF
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-11-2018
    • Posts 4

Thanks Hilary, once again you have saved the day! It did open from the SharePoint List Template and I was able to edit the form and republish. I will find the article on connecting to SharePoint User Profiles and post a link here. Thanks again. Bob
  • 07-11-2018 09:29 AM In reply to

Whew, glad that worked. :) Yeah, I'm guessing this is going to impact quite a few people - I'd like to have something concrete I can direct others to when they run into the issue. Thanks for looking for the link!
    Hilary Stoupa

• 07-16-2018 09:00 AM In reply to

• IbisVF
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-11-2018
    • Posts 4

I created a test SharePoint Online List and created an InfoPath SOAP Data Connection for GetUserProfileByName. In this test I was able to populate the InfoPath form with the User Profile data. Sorry to be such an alarmist, but on the production SharePoint list I received and error message that said the Web Service could not connect and was not supported. It does appear that the ASMX web service has been deprecated and will ultimately be unsupported. That said, InfoPath was supposed to go away and has now been extended. The issue with SharePoint Online is we don't have any control over what gets turned off, updated or simply removed. I thought I had seen this in an Admin Message from another account, but cant find it. The account where I experienced the error is a client account where I am not a Site Collection Admin. Here are some links, the first one on Loop Back being disabled is the one that caused me to keep looking, even though it is pretty old. Bottom line for me is we need to start using the SharePoint Framework, REST API where we can and walk the tight rope on functionality until they figure it all out. Thanks for your help and I hope this will help someone else down the road. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2674193/error-message-when-you-connect-an-infopath-form-to-a-sharepoint-online https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/202984/office-365-sharepoint-online-web-services-versus-local-sharepoint-installation https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6396988a-2ca5-406a-9457-754b0d65f9df/sharepoint-soap-web-services-listsasmx-deprecated https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/general-development/choose-the-right-api-set-in-sharepoint#DeprecatedAPIs https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/142814/are-soap-web-services-are-getting-deprecated-from-sharepoint-2013
  • 07-16-2018 09:06 AM In reply to

Thanks for double checking and updating with your findings! Yeah, we are all waiting for stuff to break in SharePoint Online all the time - I completely understand :-)
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Copyright © 2003-2018 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.