InfoPath Froms to work with spreadsheet, Different user permissions and updates require approvals. - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

InfoPath Froms to work with spreadsheet, Different user permissions and updates require approvals.

Last post 06-22-2018 11:13 AM by Wheels. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-19-2018 02:33 AM

InfoPath Froms to work with spreadsheet, Different user permissions and updates require approvals.

Hi everyone,

I am totally new to InfoPath but I have spent yesterday and today investigating its potential applications and I believe that when coupled with SharePoint it would be a potential solution to a project I have been working on.

I want to develop a “people management system” that will hold several columns containing basic data on employees and what task code they have been assigned etc.

It will allow a manager to view all data, update or delete rows and permit them to create new rows.

It will allow team leaders to view only the people who have been assigned to their tasks and edit a certain column. When they edit this column a manager must be able view who made this update request and be able to approve it before it goes live. (There is roughly 60 updates a day so I know the email alert system I have read about is not workable)

The system must be entirely on SharePoint instead of being accessed locally.

I believe from my research yesterday and today that it will possible to use permissions and workflows in InfoPath forms and SharePoint in order to achieve this. InfoPath has the added benefit of allowing the user to edit a single column instead of the entire row.

I was wondering if any of you could attest to whether or not this project is feasible using InfoPath forms and SharePoint. I would also be extremely grateful if you could point me towards the right direction as I would like to research this and learn/understand the system as I create it.

If you have any questions for me or about the project please let me know and I will respond ASAP.

Thank you for any assistance.

Regards

John
  • 06-22-2018 11:13 AM In reply to

Re: InfoPath Forms to work with spreadsheet, Different user permissions and updates require approvals.

Good afternoon John.

I believe InfoPath with SharePoint integration will work well for what you are trying to do. You can create SharePoint custom lists (similar to database tables) to populate drop-down boxes, pull user information from Active Directory and built in web services, edit the SharePoint permissions and views, set up multiple data connections to emails, SharePoint, databases, etc., and based on the file name, enable the information to be easily updated by resubmitting or saving the form(s). I would recommend taking a blank InfoPath template, start framing out what you want it to look like, and try to add each piece of functionality as you go. Also so folks do not realize that you can create a new SharePoint site (Document Library) page just by publishing the form.

Have a great day. WHEELS

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Copyright © 2003-2018 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.