Autpopulate fields when one of many dropdowns is selected (all data is in one table) - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Autpopulate fields when one of many dropdowns is selected (all data is in one table)

Last post 08-30-2018 08:27 AM by khillebrand. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-13-2018 08:19 AM

Autpopulate fields when one of many dropdowns is selected (all data is in one table)

Hi All!

I have a single table with data in it that will be used by various departments in our organization. I want to have a form that has a dropdown box for most of the fields in the table. I built a rough idea of what we're looking for but I can't get it to work. Its attached. This form would be used as sort of a lookup that people can "search" for information or update if required.  

The goal is to provide a way for staff to look up information no matter what drop down field they select, and the other dropdowns should auto-populate with the proper associated value.

So the InfoPath form should look like this:

Role (dropdown box)
    Cadence Security (dropdown box)
    Learning Pathway (text field)
    LP Name (dropdown box)
    Model Use (text field)
    SER Needed? (text field)
    Template (dropdown box)
    Sub-template (dropdown box)

A user would come to the form and choose one of the dropdowns. For example: Role. If they chose the Role of Radiology Resident, we want the other dropdown boxes to populate with their associated information in the table.

Role:  Radiology Resident (chosen by user)

(These fields should auto-populate with the associated values for that record in the table)
    Cadence Security:  (blank)
    Learning Pathway:  FOCUSED PROVIDER --> RADLP PROVIDER
    LP Name: RADLP Provider.v2015
    Model User:  RISRES
    SER Needed: Yes
    Sub-template: RIS RESIDENT SUBTEMPLATE FOR RESMD T105104
    Template: TRESMD [T00019]

The user should have the same ability from each drop down. So if a user selects LP Name: RADLP Provider.v2015, the same data above should appear.

I've googled and searched here but couldn't find quite what I was looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Filed under: ,
  • 06-13-2018 04:34 PM In reply to

Re: Autpopulate fields when one of many dropdowns is selected (all data is in one table)

I would just use rules for this. It will be boring, because you are going to have to add the same rules to every field to go set the other field values. In theory, you could use default values, but I'm guessing you also want users to be able to change these values, or you wouldn't be using dropdown controls, you'd just display the data from the secondary data connection, right?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 06-15-2018 05:48 AM In reply to

Re: Autpopulate fields when one of many dropdowns is selected (all data is in one table)

Hi Hilary!

I tried using rules without success. I googled and watched videos but wasn't able to figure it out.

Can you help me with setting up one rule for one dropdown and I will do the others?

• 06-15-2018 12:22 PM In reply to

I've been reading and experimenting and I have the Role field now triggering an update to the Model User dropdown box using a rule with a filter, but it pulls the 1st value from the table, instead of the properly associated value.

I'm stumped. I have attached my updated form in case anyone can push me in the right direction.

Thank you!

• 06-18-2018 04:32 PM In reply to

Try this one. In your filter, you were comparing the ID in the secondary data connection to the ID in the same secondary data connection. You need, instead, to compare it to the ID in the main data connection data fields.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 06-19-2018 08:48 AM In reply to

You were right. I was comparing secondary to secondary.  Your attachment didn't work for me though. When I change Role via the dropdown, Model User doesn't change. It remains blank. It works for you in Preview mode?

• 06-19-2018 08:55 AM In reply to

I can't preview your form - I don't have access to your SharePoint site :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 06-19-2018 09:07 AM In reply to

Right! Sorry! :) 

Well matching Secondary to Main isn't triggering the update to the Model User dropdown box. Any other ideas?

Does it matter if I compare ID(Main) to ID(Secondary) or ID(Secondary) to ID(Main) ? I tried doing that but no change. Also tried matching ID under the queryFields folder versus dataFields. Still not triggering. Trying to figure out what else it could be.

Thank you so much for your help Hilary!

• 06-19-2018 10:28 AM In reply to

Sorry, I should have paid more attention to your filter - you actually want to filter on Role, right?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 06-19-2018 10:55 AM In reply to

I would like it so if an end user changes the value of the Role dropdown box to a value in the list, the rule should run and populate Model user with the associated value.

Role:  Radiology Resident (chosen by user)
    Model User:  RISRES (populates automatically)

Again, all the data is in one table. And for the record where Role is Radiology Resident, the Model User is RISRES.

I hope I'm explaining that clearly. Thank you!

• 06-19-2018 11:01 AM In reply to

Did you try the template I attached to my last post?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 06-19-2018 01:12 PM In reply to

I didn't realize you had attached a template. Yes that works. Now that I understand the solution, I added some additional rules that update the rest of the fields when Role is updated. It works great.

Hilary, I appreciate all of your patience and support on this forum. We're incredibly lucky to have you.

Thank you so much! 

• 06-19-2018 01:59 PM In reply to

I should have mentioned it was there - glad this got you sorted!
    Hilary Stoupa

• 08-30-2018 08:27 AM In reply to

I am having the exact same issue and I have seriously spent days putting together every combination I can think of for the Rules.  I want to select a Mediator and have the Firm, Address, Phone 1, Phone 2 and Email fields to populate.

I can't seem to access any field but the Mediator field.  Every other combination produces no results.  Can you please point me in the right direction?  Thank you! 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Copyright © 2003-2018 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.