ID display help - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

ID display help

Last post 05-30-2018 12:00 PM by Hilary Stoupa. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-29-2018 12:47 PM

ID display help

All, In a bind. I have a customer who has multiple lists that all morph into one main "baseline" list. It literally has probably 100 fields with 80% being lookups. I am trying to streamline this to a Customer list, POC List and a financial price list. Here is my idea and issue that I am running into. 1. I have a customer list that will have just the customer and relational billing information. Unit A to Unit B relationship as some Units will be the billing person for multiple units if that makes sense. 2. A Customer POC list (who gets, the bill, account managers, etc 3. Pricing list - this will change each year and drive the form based on the dropdown. It will require a 5 year window so 5 lists with the same info minus the annual price change will be used. These lists will be driven by the fiscal year drop down. (ie: 2019 - uses the 2019 price list, 2020, uses 2020, etc) 4. The Baseline. This is the combined form that will pull the information of the first two lists together. I have the Customer list pulling info just fine and does what I intended. What I cannot figure out is the ID value that is pulled from the lookup. The Customer list has a lookup for CustomerPOC field) It will pull in fine and I have used the info on the URL below to make that ID pull the right text into the form. The issue is when it is published to the baseline form, it will revert back to displaying the ID. Is there a way to show that text on the main baseline list versus the lookup ID. This is what I followed to display the ID/Text value on the form and it works just fine. https://www.premierpointsolutions.com/training/help-and-how-to-articles/get-infopath-to-display-lookup-column-value-not-id/ Need to figure out how this can apply to the main baseline list as it will drive the invoice system hopefully for the next 4 years. Thanks for the help in advance - sure it is some dumb setting that I am missing
    Filed under: ,
  • 05-29-2018 12:59 PM In reply to

So - I'm confused. You say when it is published - so the form is behaving differently in preview vs. the browser? Or am I misunderstanding? Can you attach a screenshot under the options tab in a reply to clarify?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-29-2018 01:28 PM In reply to

Hey Hilary, sent you a PM
  • 05-29-2018 03:07 PM In reply to

I think you are saying the form is behaving differently in the browser than in preview. That can be hard to debug - but it could be in the browser the ID is being returned with decimal places and that's why you aren't getting a match on your XPath filter. Drag the secondary data source onto the form so you can see the actual value in the lookup in preview vs. the browser.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-30-2018 07:38 AM In reply to

Hilary So I used this as my guide: https://www.premierpointsolutions.com/training/help-and-how-to-articles/get-infopath-to-display-lookup-column-value-not-id/ It works fine on the form, but that field on the LIST shows as the ID still and does not hold the calculated value name (IE Customer POC - Chris) would be ID 1 on the main list that the form publishes to. Hope that makes more sense Thanks again C
  • 05-30-2018 08:01 AM In reply to

This is a normal form created from a blank form template
  • 05-30-2018 09:33 AM In reply to

It is soooo odd. So Here is the full scenario. I have a client who has a financial tracker (don't ask why in SP - it is what it is) They have a crazy amount of lists historically that are all morphed into one that is literally 80 to 90% lookups. What I am trying to accomplish in a smart way is to streamline the lists to a few and have one be the baseline that will work for 5 years. So... I have 1. Customer Contact List - this is a custom list that has simple name, location etc 2. FY pricing list - this will drive the O&M and New Service form based on the drop down for fiscal year - easy 3. Customer Accounts list - this holds the main information about the Unit account as well as the Billing account. The billing account can be the same as a Unit account so I have a few rules that pull that info based on the UnitAccount relation to the BillToUnit relation. Think of it as a linear loop where lets say A101 can have a bill to account as A200. The rules look down the list and pull those values. I also have a lookup for the Account Manager that is pulling from the Customer Contact List. This is where it gets tricky. There is a baseline that uses the Unit Account dropdown to populate the fields. This pulls everything fine from the Customer Accounts List. I have a account manager field that is set as a calculated value. This displays the name text properly in the field, but when I publish the form to the list it will show the ID. The ONLY way I have been able to get it in as a name is if I use a dropdown to pull the name and set it up. The ID shows initially and I then have to select the name. There will be only 1 name relation as the filter still controls it. When published that shows up but the step to select is annoying Hope this makes better sense? Just trying to figure out why the field shows properly on the form, but not on publishing to the list
  • 05-30-2018 10:09 AM In reply to

Oh! Are you talking about a promoted property? Is this actually a list form, or when you say "publishing to the list" do you mean "library"?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-30-2018 10:45 AM In reply to

It is publishing to a library and I have everything set to promoted at the moment for potential workflow use
  • 05-30-2018 10:57 AM In reply to

So, my guess would be that in the form, you are setting your account manager field to the ID, and that's what promoted. And you are using a calculated field to display the name. But you'd need to actually add and promote a field in your form with a default value that will store the name, and promote that. You could use the same XPath filter you are using in the calculated value for the default of this new field.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-30-2018 11:07 AM In reply to

"So, my guess would be that in the form, you are setting your account manager field to the ID, and that's what promoted. And you are using a calculated field to display the name. But you'd need to actually add and promote a field in your form with a default value that will store the name, and promote that. You could use the same XPath filter you are using in the calculated value for the default of this new field." So Yes, I have the account manager field set to a Calculated value. That value is Title[ID=AccountManager] where Title is the Customer POC title name from the POC list. Then ID is that same list (POC) and then AccountManager is the Main Baseline list to put the data to. You are saying to make another field and have it get data? Sorry not following
  • 05-30-2018 12:00 PM In reply to

This is extremely difficult when you can't share your form or any screenshots. A calculated value is a control type. Are you now saying that the default value of the account manager field is Title[ID=AccountManager] and this is what you have promoted to the library? If so, there is no reason the library's promoted property would display the ID. Look at what field you have promoted, and download a submitted XML file. Open it in a text editor. What is the value in the field that you have promoted?

Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Copyright © 2003-2018 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.