Retrieving SharePoint list data in batches - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Retrieving SharePoint list data in batches

Last post 05-11-2018 09:00 AM by B02002. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-09-2018 03:50 AM

Retrieving SharePoint list data in batches

In SharePoint I can create a view that will show me list data in batches of a specified number. For example, if I had a list with 1000 items in it I could tell SharePoint to show me this data in batches of 100.

I'd like to do something similar with InfoPath. I have designed a form which I want to have a fixed vertical height. With this in mind, I'd like to retrieve data from my data source in batches of 30. Is this even possible in InfoPath? Essentially, I want to return all items from my SharePoint list but display them on the form 30 items at a time. Or, to put it another way, I want to restrict my repeating table to a set number of rows, but have buttons so I could move forward and backwards through the data.

• 05-11-2018 04:08 AM In reply to

Re: Retrieving SharePoint list data in batches

I'll answer my own question here. In order to get this to work I had to do some reading up on REST data sources. I also watched this video:

Using REST Services in InfoPath, Part 2: ODATA In Depth  by James Rishe (Qdabra no less)

https://youtu.be/ncN7Qr65kjI 

I also had to read up on data connection files, since my form is web-based and you have to do a bit of faffing about to get REST to work in this scenario. I used this TechNet article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff621104(v=office.14).aspx

I also had to remind myself how the Secure Store works and used this article:

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/Roji.Joy/how-to-enable-sso-for-web-services-used-in-infopath-form-in/ 

Hope this is useful to someone. InfoPath is definitely not dead to me. It's actually a great tool (but poorly documented by Microsoft). I don't think PowerApps can match it at the moment and if your SharePoint is on-prem, I definitely think InfoPath is still king. :-) 

• 05-11-2018 07:52 AM In reply to

Hey, sorry you ended up answering your own question, but awesome job doing so! One thing to note (for future visitors to this thread) - if you are using Office 365 browser forms, you won't be able to use REST.... At least last time I checked, those services were blocked in InfoPath Forms Services.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-11-2018 09:00 AM In reply to

No problem Hilary. Actually, you did help in a small way, as I also read a thread about data connections for admin-approved forms in which you said something which suddenly made the penny drop, regarding how to access those type of data connections. Thanks for that! :-)

I guess eventually I will have to move to SharePoint online and PowerApps but I've had to spend so much time learning InfoPath and SharePoint on-prem that I'm not prepared to throw all that a way just yet. :-) 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Copyright © 2003-2018 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.