Display sub information in a repeating table - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Display sub information in a repeating table

Last post 04-11-2018 09:13 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-09-2018 07:28 AM

Display sub information in a repeating table

Hi
    I have a repeating table with a secondary data source attached, this contains student reference. I need a way to display sub-record information of every row such as exam papers (Many) for each student.

I have thought of two possible approaches: 

1. A button can be placed on each row of the repeating student table and when pressed a reference is passed into another secondary data source which returns and displays sub-record information. The returned data could be in a pop-up window.

2. When the repeating table is loaded which displays the students, in the background  a secondary data source is called for every row which populates a list box to display papers relevant to the student.

I prefer the second approach but wanted to wanted to know if either is possible. Is there any better alternatives?

Thanks in advance

• 04-09-2018 07:45 AM In reply to

Re: Display sub information in a repeating table

Conditional formatting to display the secondary data in a repeating table inside a repeating section isn't possible - but it sounds like either of your suggested approaches would work. Personally, I prefer approach 1 with show / hide buttons to execute the query on the secondary data source - using a list box seems odd to me, because the user isn't going to be able to select / deselect any options.... I also wonder if you might not have issues with the XPath on the list box to only display the data that belongs to the specific student.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 04-11-2018 07:28 AM In reply to

Hi Hilary,

Thanks for your fab assistance. 

The data in the sub-record is for display only.  It just tells the tutor which paper(s) the student has already been entered on.

If I go with option 1, how can I add a button on the repeating table which calls a data-source and how can I display the results (which control can I use)?

If I go with option 2, then I was thinking that when the parent repeating table is rendered it can make a call for every row and populate a text area positioned in the row which displays all the papers associated with student. This way its somewhat neater.

Its a shame I cant add the functionality to hover over and a pop up appears to display the papers per student.

Thanks again 

• 04-11-2018 09:13 AM In reply to

With option 1, just add a button (or buttons, you can get fancy & make them arrows or something for show hide) that sets a query field in the secondary data source with the "child" data and runs the query. Usually, I'd drag the data fields section from the secondary data source onto the form, with a section around the repeating table so I can hide it using a form logic field. I guess you might be able to copy the data into a text area from the 2ds for the parent data, again, you'd likely need some kind of helper field for that in the repeating parent - on form load you could set the helper field to cause an action rule to fire, set the query field, query, and use .... double eval maybe to populate your text box?
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Copyright © 2003-2018 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.