Adding a (continous?) form to a SharePoint site - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Having trouble finding a blog or post that answers your question? Check out our Custom Search Page

Adding a (continous?) form to a SharePoint site

Last post 09-19-2017 07:57 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-06-2017 06:42 AM

Adding a (continous?) form to a SharePoint site

Hi,

I've created a form (using a repeating table) which I would like users to append to. Im not entirely sure of the best method to upload this form and was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to offer me some advice on the best method. The idea is the form grows with additional rows so its not a separate instance of the form. Previously when I have added forms they have been submitted and a fresh form is presented each time, on this occasion Im looking to achieve more of a list which is populated by the user - hope this makes sense?

• 09-07-2017 02:38 AM In reply to

Re: Adding a (continous?) form to a SharePoint site

Ok so Im making progress.... I now get the fact I need to link my form to a SharePoint list or data library (progress :))

When the form is submitted I can open the list which shows the submitted data, but when I re-open the form the submitted list data isn't kept within the form. Is there a way I can achieve this?

Thanks 

• 09-07-2017 08:12 AM In reply to

I'm not sure I understand the desired outcome. If you want to create a single form that shows all the items in a list (won't that get unwieldy?) you could create a form bound to the list that manages multiple items and query for all the items on load....
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-07-2017 09:04 AM In reply to

Hilary Stoupa:
    I'm not sure I understand the desired outcome. If you want to create a single form that shows all the items in a list (won't that get unwieldy?) you could create a form bound to the list that manages multiple items and query for all the items on load....

Hi Hilary,

thanks for the response, and yes I agree the list would get quite large over time but I could probably include some controls which would only show active entries (the form is a bit like a log and when an entry is finished a tick box stops people from editing the row - I guess this could be a control).

If based on your form bound to a list - what would be the best method to get that information into a list? As its the data entry aspect Im looking to achieve.

Thanks as always you are a great asset to this forum :)

• 09-08-2017 03:14 AM In reply to

Maybe Im going about this the wrong way and should be looking at an Access type approach where the form is just an interface to the backend - which is what InfoPath + SharePoint is isn't it?

• 09-08-2017 08:05 AM In reply to

It depends. If you use a list form customized with InfoPath, then yes, that is what InfoPath + SharePoint is. Do you want them to be able to enter individual items, but also see all the current (active) items? If so, you could just add a query to the list as a secondary data connection, and display the data that is already present. You can set query fields to determine exactly which data should be displayed.... Sorry if this is all rather vague, I'm still uncertain that I understand what you are trying to accomplish. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-11-2017 01:17 AM In reply to

Hi Hilary,

I know exactly what you mean in my head it makes sense but in the content of this forum its clear as mud :)

The idea is that the users can see all items in the list weather they are active or not. I know what you mean by the list is going to grow legs but I think that'll be a phase 2 as to if its massive then I'll create a method to filter out old entries and create reports. 

Am I correct in thinking the process is - create a list within SharePoint, create custom columns which reflect the forms entry fields. The form them submits anything input to the list which is then returned with a query when ever the form is opened?

Thanks for persevering with me on this :)  

• 09-11-2017 05:33 AM In reply to

Hi,

I hadn't realised (still finding my feet with InfoPath) when you create your form and plan to publish to SharePoint you get the option to create the columns for the form - great. Can someone please tell me, when you get this option you also get a dropdown in the functions section as below. What does this apply to? I know what functions are but how do they relate to the form columns Im after as generally the columns will be text.

Thanks 

• 09-11-2017 05:36 AM In reply to

It seems my image didn't attach - the drop down box contains

first, last, count sum etc 

• 09-11-2017 08:25 AM In reply to

So - if you are talking about the dropdown when promoting a field that repeats (i.e., the field is repeating or in a repeating group) - if the data is numeric, you'd have the option of sum - that would sum all the values for the repeating node. Count is a count of nodes. First is the value from the first instance - last is the value from the last instance. Merge gives you all the values, semi-colon delimited.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-11-2017 08:34 AM In reply to

Ah ok makes sense, because all the fields are in a repeating table that's why its prompting for this...

• 09-12-2017 08:05 AM In reply to

Hi,

the place Im currently at is,  I've created a data connection library and within that Ive created columns which correlate to the InfoPath form Ive created. My InfoPath form property promotion contains links to the columns but on submission of my form new InfoPath forms are getting created in the library where as Im trying to populate the columns with the data and re-populate the form when it opens with submitted values.

Can you tell me where Im going wrong?

Thanks 

• 09-12-2017 08:11 AM In reply to

This is normal behavior for a library form - which is why I had thought for this design you would want to use a list form set to manage multiple items.... I guess you could always only have one form in the library. Set the form name in the submit connection so it is hardcoded & set to overwrite.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-13-2017 05:32 AM In reply to

Thanks Hilary (I'm slowly understanding the process and how the forms interact with SharePoint lists).

A list is exactly what I want to achieve (which is now working when submitted which I tested from within InfoPaths preview function). How do I present the InfoPath form to the user to populate the list? Do I just upload the InfoPath form as a webpage?

And how do I query what's been submitted to show within the form when loading?

Thanks soo much for your help I promise Im learning and my questions wont be so "newbie'ish" if that's a word?! 

• 09-13-2017 06:05 AM In reply to

Scrap my last message Ive got the query list on form load working and so the form displays previously submitted entries on load - wooohooooo :)

All I need to do now is work out how I make the form available for people to fill in as when I launch the link after publishing all I get is a list view of whats been submitted not a form view of the InfoPath form.

Thanks 

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2003-2017 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.