InfoPath 2010 cancat Title field with string and ID field - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Having trouble finding a blog or post that answers your question? Check out our Custom Search Page

InfoPath 2010 cancat Title field with string and ID field

Last post 09-19-2017 07:41 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-14-2017 11:20 AM

InfoPath 2010 cancat Title field with string and ID field

I am trying to save a new record and set the "Title" field to be a concatenation of the String "SR ID# " and then "ID" field value, example "SR ID# 387". I have tried a number of different things but not able to save in field, I have also tried setting a function in the SharePoint list but not able to save. The attached form, Step1 Default view has the "ID" and "Title" fields listed. Any assistance will be appreciated, thank you in advance

• 08-21-2017 08:30 AM In reply to

Re: InfoPath 2010 cancat Title field with string and ID field

Hey, Brian - I was out last week, do you still need a hand with this?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 08-21-2017 09:07 AM In reply to

Hilary, thanks for checking. This is what I did and let me know if you have a better method. Basically I am saving the record twice. The ID field is not populated while creating, but it does populate after saving. I save the record, Set the Title field with string and ID, and then save again. This works for the Save(Submit) command and setting rules, save(Submit), set field name, save(Submit). I also had a button with the action New Record, which saved the record and cleared the fields, however I can not set up a way to get the title field populated. Any suggestions? Any assistance will be appreciated
  • 08-21-2017 09:43 AM In reply to

New Record is a tough one because it is really limited - it only submits and creates a new record (as you've seen).... I don't know, if you set your submit to use rules and add your rules there (submit, set values, resubmit) - does the New Record function use the submit rules? Or just whatever the default submit connection? You are right about having to submit twice to get the ID, and that is the right way to do it. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 08-22-2017 05:12 AM In reply to

Attached is the screen shot of how I am submitting a new record. I have also tried saving and clearing the fields, but the fields and combinations I have tried clearing, set off an infinite loop. (IP is nice enough to stop the program and give me a message)

• 08-22-2017 04:22 PM In reply to

What about if you either set your submit options to open a new form on success (then set the submit options to submit via rules, so you have your double submit)? Or, you could make sure the submit options are set to leave the form open and put a New Record button on the form as well - hide it if the ID is blank.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-11-2017 05:52 AM In reply to

Hilary, We are saving the record, setting the title field by concatenating, and the saving the record again so we can populate the title field. However, after the record is saved, the record displayed is the first record in the list, and we want it to stay on the record we just saved. Attached is the latest version of the form, the issue is on the QuerySRs view. Any assistance will be appreciated, thank you in advance

• 09-11-2017 08:32 AM In reply to

I wonder if the attached will work. On the save button, after your last submit, I added logic to set the query field to the ID, and then requery - Not sure if this will do it, we may need to add a secondary data connection to an XML file (saved as a resource in the form) and set that to the ID to save it till after the second submit - Or you might be able to move the rule that sets the query field up before that second submit...
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-13-2017 08:39 AM In reply to

Tried this and a few other modifications. The logic makes sense, just not working the way we want it to. I am going to try a few more things. Thanks for the help

• 09-18-2017 06:55 AM In reply to

Hilary, can you take a look at this form. I thought this was working before in previous versions, but now it is not saving the Title field by concatenating the ID with a string. The goal is to save the Title field value by concatenating the string "SR ID# " with the record ID. Trying the double tap method of saving record, populate ID field, set the Title Field by concatenating the string with the ID field and then saving again, however, looking at the saved record it does not concatenate the ID to the string. Only the string value is in the record. I open the record and save again, then it concatenates the string and the id field value. Still trying to get it to stay at the current record and not go back to the first record. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thank you in advance

• 09-18-2017 07:46 AM In reply to

I'll set up a test list & form later today to see if I can figure out the right steps for this. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-18-2017 04:31 PM In reply to

So - I'm attaching my test form. It just worked - I submit, set the title field with a concat using the ID, and submit again. The same record stayed open in the form. Attaching my sample - you may want to try a simple sample form with a test list just to narrow down whether the issue is with your site, your specific form or something else all together. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-19-2017 06:25 AM In reply to

Ok, so I made a copy (template) to review all fields, rules etc and disable, remove one by one. As I was going through the rules, there was a rule to query when the id field changed. I believe this was done exploring possibilities to clear the fields after saving). Removed that rule and the form now saves the record with the title field and keeps the current record. Thanks again
  • 09-19-2017 07:41 AM In reply to

Perfect. Sometimes it is helpful to know that a technique does work, so we know that there is something else causing an issue. Glad you found it!
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Copyright © 2003-2017 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.