Schema validation found non-datatype errors. - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Schema validation found non-datatype errors.

Last post 06-21-2018 09:18 AM by InfoPathinator. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-15-2017 06:06 PM

Schema validation found non-datatype errors.

I made a tiny modification by changing a text field from "single line" to "multi-line" on to 2 views, republished and now the form won't load in a browser or form filler.  The form is published to a "content type" on SharePoint (office 365)  and then applied to several document libraries.  When I open in a browser I see the errors:

Document was created with the newer version of the form template; do you want to open with current version of the template?  & Schema validation found non-datatype errors.

In form filler I get more specific errors:  

Element '{http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/infopath/2003/myXSD/2015-12-04T19:59:48}JanLocSec' is unexpected according to content model of parent element '{http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/infopath/2003/myXSD/2015-12-04T19:59:48}Jan'.

I have several saved previous iterations of the form and tried to republish and older form but  that also didn't fix it.  If I create a new form in the library, it seems to be fine and will open. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn Lloyd 

• 03-16-2017 03:15 PM In reply to

Re: Schema validation found non-datatype errors.

Been working on this a bit further. It appears to possibly be a versioning mismatch issue between the original template and the files in the doc library not getting updated or something. Weird.  Microsoft support is really no help at all, but they'll still keep you on the phone for hours going through their scripts and circling the issue.

• 03-17-2017 07:28 AM In reply to

Hi - so you just changed the data type of the field? It didn't get renamed or anything? Because the schema validation errors usually show up in the browser when we rename / move / delete a field. What are the versioning settings on the form template under Options > Versioning?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 03-17-2017 07:37 AM In reply to

Thanks for the reply. It appears to be a versioning issue. I'm having some luck changing the template version to a number higher than the forms version #'s. Then going into library settings into the SharePoint form library and relinking to the current library and matching the content type. I'm doing this on a test form library before I go in and do it on the production form library. Just want to make sure I won't lose any form data using this solution. I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing so I'm proceeding with caution.
  • 03-17-2017 07:55 AM In reply to

You can always download some files then in your form, in design mode, under Form Options > Preview, select one to preview with. Preview the file, then use File > Save As to resave locally. Compare to the original to make sure you still have all your data - I use WinMerge (free) for that.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 03-17-2017 08:21 AM In reply to

Thanks! Yeah, that's my plan. I'll check out WinMerge. Cheers,
  • 03-17-2017 03:27 PM In reply to

Fixed this by changing the version of the template and "re-linking" all the forms in the SharePoint Form Library.
  • 03-17-2017 03:30 PM In reply to

Whew. Glad that worked. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 03-17-2017 03:57 PM In reply to

yeah, it's kinda stressful when 150 people can't get to their forms :-( Oi vey. Thanks for the help! -Shawn
  • 06-21-2018 08:55 AM In reply to

I experienced this problem once, but following these instructions: updating the form version in InfoPath Designer, publishing the changes, and then downloading, deleting from SharePoint, uploading, and re-linking each form did not fix the issue for me. I still experienced the error when attempting to open each form in the browser.

I was able to fix my broken forms by opening each one in InfoPath Form Filler and then submitting them back to SharePoint. After this I was able to edit each form in the browser without any errors.

I opened each one in filler by clicking on the ellipsis menu next to the form's name and selected "Edit".

I still can't figure out the root cause of the issue with my form, for some reason any schema change causes this issue. I have never had this problem it on any other form I have designed using InfoPath. Schema changes can cause data loss, but usually not "Schema Validation Found Non-Data Type Errors".

I may have to re-create the form from scratch.

Dan Murphy
  • 06-21-2018 09:00 AM In reply to

If you set your template to *not* upgrade existing forms, then previewed with existing XML, you sometimes get a better message - did you try that? I know for sure that Browser upgrades don't handle deleted nodes at all well, while Filler has no trouble w/ them... any chance you'd deleted (or moved) a node?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 06-21-2018 09:18 AM In reply to

Thanks for the quick reply Hillary.

I was able to figure out the problem with my form's schema, I had moved a repeating table inside a repeating section, then I decided this was too complicated, so I moved it back out. These cause something to go wrong with the schema. I deleted the repeating table and recreated it and now my form is working properly, I can change the schema with no errors when opening existing forms.

Dan Murphy
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Copyright © 2003-2018 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.