InfoPath "Infinite Loop" limitation - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Office365 Alert - Sandbox has been deprecated in SharePoint Online.
Read more here.

Having trouble finding a blog or post that answers your question? Check out our Custom Search Page

InfoPath "Infinite Loop" limitation

Last post 01-18-2017 10:22 AM by marygib. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-16-2016 08:02 AM

InfoPath "Infinite Loop" limitation

I purchased the webinar kit for ‘Submitting Repeating Data to a Sharepoint List’.  Works great except I receive an error when trying to submit more than 10 or so items.  Have you discovered any solutions to enable the form to submit more items, i.e., 20-30 items per form?

"Default values, rules or code may be running in an infinite loop. To prevent this, ensure that the default value, rule action or event handler does not update the data which causes the same rule action or event handler to execute."

• 12-16-2016 08:06 AM In reply to

Re: InfoPath "Infinite Loop" limitation

I'll take a look at the form from the webinar kit and see if there is something that is causing this - more soon!
    Hilary Stoupa

• 12-16-2016 08:16 AM In reply to

I'm having trouble finding the exact webinar kit - Is the name "Submitting Repeating Data to a Sharepoint List"? Do you still have the ZIP you downloaded from the store & if so, can you give me the name of the download? Thanks!
    Hilary Stoupa

• 01-10-2017 12:48 PM In reply to

Hi.  For what it's worth, I've used same process (I think, it was called "Using CAML to Update List Items") and have run into same error on occasion.  The error seems more likely to occur when server is busy - some kind of time limitation seems to get in the way.  I can put 25 items in my repeating table and submit - one day it works but another day it doesn't.  We upped a threshold in SharePoint Central Admin, but still hit the error on occasion. 

I put this lame disclaimer on the form:  RTPs with a large number of items may error (15 or more) if the server is busy.  Please consider splitting a large request into separate RTPs when many items are needed.  If you see an error ("infinite loop" or "the number of calls to the Changed event . . . exceeded the maximum limit"), it may still be possible to proceed by clicking "OK".   Would love to have a better solution.

--Susan 

Susan Pierce
    University of Texas at Arlington
  • 01-11-2017 06:35 AM In reply to

Hi Susan.  Thanks for the advice.  May have to use a disclaimer if I can't find a fix.  I read that to solve the problem, you must replace the default values with Set a Fields Value action rules.  So in our case we have a default value for uniqueId in the repeating table:

concat(now(), userName(), count(preceding-sibling::Items))

I was only able to enter 14 items before receiving an error.  I unchecked Refresh value when formula is recalculated and I can get up to 24 items before an error.  So I believe this field is what's causing the problem

• 01-11-2017 07:43 AM In reply to

Maybe just use the now and the user name function and leave out the count? I would think now, since it goes out to the second, would be adequate?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 01-18-2017 10:22 AM In reply to

Hi,  I found an error in my form and had also unchecked the 'Refresh value when formula is recalculated'.  I also had a description field that would not publish to the list if it exceeded about 250 characters.  Everything seems to be working fine now.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Copyright © 2003-2017 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.