Possible to have "get choices from an external data source" with CAML and repeating section? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Having trouble finding a blog or post that answers your question? Check out our Custom Search Page

Possible to have "get choices from an external data source" with CAML and repeating section?

Last post 02-04-2016 08:27 AM by magickarle. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-22-2016 04:58 AM

Possible to have "get choices from an external data source" with CAML and repeating section?

Greetings.
    First, thanks for taking the time to look at this post.
    Second, I am sorry if this question has already been answered (but I did search for days now) so it must have been buried somewhere I didn't dig in yet.

Here what I am trying to do:
    Have a form with:
    Top: Non-repeating with:
    'Employee status','Request Status','Client','Work Group','Name','PEIN'
    Those are CAML fields.

Bottom repeating:
    'Platform','SubPlatform','Access Group','Access Type','Platform ID','SN'
    Those are standard infopath Input Controls

I want the 'Employee status','Request Status' to be Drop-Down lists so user can choose predefined values (coming from a Sharepoint list)
    Same for 'Platform','SubPlatform','Access Group','Access Type'.

My problem is the CAML XML.
    I do not know how to assign or bound the drop-down to them.
    By default, if I drag the CAML fields on the forms, they have to be filled manually by user.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• 01-29-2016 03:44 PM In reply to

Re: Possible to have "get choices from an external data source" with CAML and repeating section?

Well, you can right click the text control and select Change Control and change it to a drop down - but then ALL your CAML fields will be drop downs and you'll have to do something tricky to only get the options you want to display in each one. Probably easier to use form fields and then set your CAML values. You can modify the manifest file to filter a rule's target or in your CAML XML you could add some extra attributes for helpers. Take a look at the attached sample for what I mean - save the form locally, right click and select design to open in design mode.

Hilary Stoupa

• 02-04-2016 08:27 AM In reply to

Re: Possible to have "get choices from an external data source" with CAML and repeating section?

Thank you.

I do not mind having then all as drop down.

But I am wondering if I am handling it the right way. 
    So summarize:
    The top non repeating controls are bind to the main controls form?
    Their values are coming from a SharePoint list called Matrix.

The bottom section contain repeating controls bind to the CAML?
    Their values are coming as well from the Matrix SharePoint list.

I would like to have a submit button that would submit the form data to a sharepoint list (and depending if the user added a row in the repeating section, would submit twice, or 3, 4 5 times. Depending if the user inserted 2,3,4,5... rows.
    Each rows contains different data and different columns.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2003-2017 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.