how to display dropdowns with it's values selected automatically in the Repeating Table - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Having trouble finding a blog or post that answers your question? Check out our Custom Search Page

how to display dropdowns with it's values selected automatically in the Repeating Table

Last post 10-01-2012 10:51 AM by Gennady Vanin (Геннадий Ванин, Новосибирск). 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-21-2012 07:32 AM

how to display dropdowns with it's values selected automatically in the Repeating Table

Hi,

I have a requirement like below

I have a dropdown field present in the Repeating Table and this dropdown is getting data from SharePoint List and list has 3 values Type, Size and Length and all these values are showing fine in dropdown.

Now, In order  to select all the three values from the dropdown, First I select value "Type" from dropdown and then click on "Insert item" link(by default present in Repeating table) to get one more dropdown and then select "Size" from dropdown and again click on "Insert item" link for one more dropdown and finally select the "Length" from the last dropdown.

What I need now is instead of clicking "insert item" link each time and selecting the value from the dropdown,  I want all the  3 dropdown's should be shown automatically like below

Dropdown-1  with Value "Type" selected

Dropdown -2  with value "Size" selected

Dropdown -3 with value "Length" selected

Similarly, if list has 'N' values, then 'N' dropdowns with those values selected should automatically appear in the repeating table.

Please let me know how can we achieve the same in InfoPath 2010.

Thanks in advance.

Chakradhar.

• 09-23-2012 11:14 PM In reply to

Re: how to display dropdowns with it's values selected automatically in the Repeating Table

Hi,

Any update on the above issue ?

Thanks,

Chakradhar.

• 09-25-2012 03:24 AM In reply to

Re: how to display dropdowns with it's values selected automatically in the Repeating Table

Hello Everyone,

Please let me know, does anyone faced the similar issue or have the rules or functions solved the above issue.

Chakradhar.

• 09-25-2012 03:24 AM In reply to

Hello Everyone,

Please let me know, does anyone faced the similar issue or have the rules or functions solved the above issue as i got stuck in this.

Chakradhar.

• 09-25-2012 04:29 AM In reply to

Chakradhar:

What I need now is instead of clicking "insert item" link each time and selecting the value from the dropdown,  I want all the  3 dropdown's should be shown automatically like below

Dropdown-1  with Value "Type" selected

Dropdown -2  with value "Size" selected

Dropdown -3 with value "Length" selected

Similarly, if list has 'N' values, then 'N' dropdowns with those values selected should automatically appear in the repeating table.

Enclosed please find the template demonstrating it

In Infopath Designer, create a new form template >  insert a Repeating Section  and Dropdown List Box onto it with your N choices 

Fig.1.1 Dropdown List Box Properties with choices

Fig.1. Dropdown List Box Properties with choices

On ribbon click Data tab > Default Values > in dialof box tree navigate to and right-click a repeating section (mine is group2 here) > Add another <repeating_section_field_name>. Repeat this sentence again in order to have more nodes with default value dropdowns

Fig.2. Add Another Group2 below

Fig.2. Add Another Group2 below

Fig.3. Repeating Default Values

Fig.3. Define the Default value: for each of the dropdown (mine is field1 here) defaut

Fig.4. Run a Repeating Section with Default Values in Drop Down List Box (in a Repeating Section). Gennady Vanin - Ванин Геннадий

Fig.4. Run a Repeating Section with Default Values in Drop Down List Box (in a Repeating Section) nodes.
    Note it is one dropdown list box control with multiple defaults

Gennady Vanin (Novosibirsk) --- Геннадий Ванин (Новосибирск)
  • 09-26-2012 04:56 AM In reply to

Hi Vanin,

This is exactly what I was looking and It is working excellent when you added the choices manually and enter the default values like 1, 2, and 3 in the ‘Default Values’ under ‘Data’ tab for each of the field that group.

But In my case, I am getting the data to dropdown from the SharePoint List.

Here rows are added absolutely fine as per above scenario, but dropdown values are not showing the default values like shown in the above scenario, and I also tried to enter the default values like 1, 2 and 3 but these values aren’t present in the SharePoint list. [Even ID value in SP list is not in order, because there are some deletions happened, so it will be not in order)

Also, here we are adding the rows manually from the ‘default values’ under data tab, but if some user added the values in list, then again I need to come to InfoPath and add one more row (like adding in data tab) and then republish once again. So, Is there any functionally (Rules and functions) by which rows are populated automatically based on number of values in the list and also the with default values selected in the dropdown.

Thanks in advance and awaiting for your response.

Thanks,

Chakradhar.

• 09-27-2012 12:38 AM In reply to

Chakradhar:

This is exactly what I was looking and It is working excellent when you added the choices manually and enter the default values like 1, 2, and 3 in the ‘Default Values’ under ‘Data’ tab for each of the field that group.

But In my case, I am getting the data to dropdown from the SharePoint List

I checked that defaults worked for me also for Get choices from an external  data source which was a sharepoint list

Chakradhar:
    Here rows are added absolutely fine as per above scenario, but dropdown values are not showing the default values like shown in the above scenario, and I also tried to enter the default values like 1, 2 and 3 but these values aren’t present in the SharePoint list. [Even ID value in SP list is not in order, because there are some deletions happened, so it will be not in order)

There is no need to use differing fields for "Display name:" and "Value:" if the fiel values are unique. 
    If not it is possible  to use built-in sharepoint list items IDs, you also can create a sharepoint list column CustomID of type Number (with Number of decimal places: 0) and use it.

I can only guess what and why is failing for you

Filled List in Browser

Fig.1. Filled Sharepoint List in Browser

Fig.1. Properties of Dropdown List Box (Gennady Vanin - Геннадий Ванин)

Fig.2. Properties of Dropdown List Box 

Fig.3. Defaults of Dropdown List Box (Gennady Vanin - Геннадий Ванин)

Fig.3. Fig.3. Defaults of Dropdown List Box

Fig.4. Running (Gennady Vanin - Геннадий Ванин)

Fig.4. Running

I have checked that it also all work in browser

• 09-27-2012 03:04 AM In reply to

Hi Vanin,

From Figure3 - Defaults of Dropdown List Box, I can see that you have entered the Default values for the each dropdowns manually like 111111, 2222222222222 and 3333333333333 respectively and it is showing default values as expected. But, what if the values inside the SP list are added/changed/deleted?

Let’s say if the value 111111 is replaced with 555555 or value 111111 is deleted, all I need to do is to go to the form and change the default value for that dropdown as 555555 instead of 111111 or remove the default value as 111111 and then republish, because we are entering the default values manually over here and they are not populating automatically.

This is where, I am getting stuck… (All dropdowns in the repeat table are populated with correct values, but they are not showing the default values automatically).

Thanks,

Chakradhar

• 10-01-2012 10:51 AM In reply to

I believe I answered it before

Gennady Vanin (Геннадий Ванин, Новосибирск):
    If not it is possible  to use built-in sharepoint list items IDs, you also can create a sharepoint list column CustomID of type Number (with Number of decimal places: 0) and use it

built-in item IDs as Value: of drop-down list box are not changed on changes/updates of sharepoint list items

Also, drop-down choices and their defaults are not something that are generated automatically or created/changed by users, they are defined by developers/designers.

Aren't you exaggerating in asserting that you are stuck?
    How can defaults which have never been defined can be shown (automatically or in any other way)?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Copyright © 2003-2014 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.