A little stuck..... - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Having trouble finding a blog or post that answers your question? Check out our Custom Search Page

A little stuck.....

Last post 06-23-2011 05:30 by jaybranch. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-23-2011 01:25

A little stuck.....

I have my Purchase Requisition form runnnig and it's running well...  however, Im now onto Phase 2 of the design which i hope to deploy to users next month.

I have an issue however, in the way the form need to be re-designed.  Let me explain....

On the form, users can pick from quite a few fields, one of which is called Cost Centre.  This is a drop down list on the form, which is populated from a sharepoint list.  However, we let the user pick the department name rather than the number, but we have another field on the form which populates with the cost centre number automatically for the user when they pick a cost centre name.  For example, if might pick 'Finance' on the drop down list, which populates the box next to it with '4200'.  We do it this way as most people do not know the cost centre numbers, but they do know department names.

There is also another list in Sharepoint called Account Codes.  These are 7 digit numbers (such as 6194500) and these are also populated on the form via a data connection, so users can choose the account code from a drop down list.  On this list we simlpy let the user pick the number, as most people know which number they need to choose.

Now, when they used a paper-based form, users could simlpy write down their cost centres and account codes on the sheet and hand it in... for example, if they wanted to buy some battery casings for their department they would write:

Account Code: 6194500-4200

Then on the next line, they might want another part, but reference it against a different cost centre....

Account Code: 6192900-4000 

On the electronic InfoPath form however, they can only choose ONE cost centre code.  This isn't a huge problem....  as if they need to raise a PR against more then one cost centre, they simlpy have to raise seperate PR's for each order.  However, in the new design I would like users to pick mulitple cost centres.

I've designed it as such that there is a repeating table where users can enter QTY, part number, cost etc.  Within this repeating table is the 7-digit Account Code list.  How can I get my form to work in a way which will allow users to pick the 7-digit account code THEN a cost centre? 

I almost forgot to mention - my columns in my form library include the cost centre and account code - although I have heard of publishing more than one item from a list into a column.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks all

Jay

Filed under: , ,
  • 06-23-2011 02:50 In reply to

I'm not really clear on what the problem is.  Could you describea little more succinctly what's currently stopping you from doing what you want?

Jimmy Rishe / Software Developer / InfoPath MVP
    Qdabra Software
  • 06-23-2011 05:30 In reply to

Jimmy,

Thanks for replying - however I figured it out.

On my initial design I had the cost centre code populate automatically in a text box when I chose the cost centre dept from a list.  I tried moving the control into the repeating table, but it told me that the data wouldn't work in the table. 

I didn't think of creating a new list....  which I have now done and it's doing exactly what I want it to do!

Thanks again for replying though!

Best regards

James

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2003-2012 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.