Send notification e-mail without form attached or included (IP 2007) - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Having trouble finding a blog or post that answers your question? Check out our Custom Search Page

Send notification e-mail without form attached or included (IP 2007)

Last post 06-10-2011 03:04 PM by Hilary Stoupa. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-07-2011 07:48 AM

Send notification e-mail without form attached or included (IP 2007)

Hey everyone,

I have a series of buttons in my form that all use "Rules and Custom Code" with a rule to submit using a data connection over e-mail. However, I only want to send an e-mail notification, not a whole form. I do not have access to VSTA, so is there any other way that I can send an e-mail without the form attached or included in the e-mail? I just want the user to be able to notify specified users.

Thanks so much!

-Jed

• 06-09-2011 08:25 AM In reply to

Re: Send notification e-mail without form attached or included (IP 2007)

Help, please?
  • 06-10-2011 10:23 AM In reply to

Seriously though. Can anyone answer this?
  • 06-10-2011 10:32 AM In reply to

Sure -- The answer is "not without code" and you indicated that wasn't an option....

Why not just use a SharePoint workflow?

Hilary Stoupa
    Qdabra® Software/ InfoPathDev.com
    The InfoPath Experts – Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge.™

• 06-10-2011 10:34 AM In reply to

I should clarify a bit -- you could have a promoted property called "notify" or something, and the user can click a button that sets the field to the email address to send to -- then you submit the XML to a form library w/ a workflow on it...

Of course, that assumes you are using SharePoint? If not, then I really don't have any ideas...

Oh -- wait! There is an IP bug you could use to your advantage here -- in your rule that emails, switch views right before sending -- that always sends a blank email.....

Hilary Stoupa
    The InfoPath Experts – Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge.™

• 06-10-2011 12:52 PM In reply to

I'll try that. Thank you for your help! Sorry for all the posts requesting help.
  • 06-10-2011 02:14 PM In reply to

Oh, please don't apologize -- that's what the forum is here for! It is just sometimes when there isn't a response, it means there may not be an answer... I do think you should try to leverage that bug, we see posts all the time where people accidentally send a blank email because they changed views first....

Hilary Stoupa

• 06-10-2011 02:59 PM In reply to

• Skarn
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2008
    • Australia
    • Posts 192

I should get a hold of IP2007 so I can better answer. In IP2003 if you use jScript (so yes this is 'code' but sometimes I think people assume that jScript in Infopath form = level 3 security required. A lot of it works in Domain (level 2) security requirement.

Anyway, in jScript you can reference the EmailAdapter data connection object and set the formName property to blank. I've found this prevents the attachment being sent.

Just a thought, this may even work if you just leave the form field blank in a submit adapter setting...but I suspect there's a reason I always use jScript to do it.

• 06-10-2011 03:04 PM In reply to

Good thinking on the jscript -- the initial post said VSTA was out -- but in IP 2007 you could still use jscript (in IP 2010, it is all VSTA / managed code).

Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Copyright © 2003-2012 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.